Pro Wrestling Only

Flair-Highspots Lawsuit

rovert

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary thought - for a while Flair was part owner of a financial management business and that was his "plan" for the post wrestling World originally.

Someone needs to grab some of this before it falls off archive.org:

Ric Flair Finance: Home of the Figure-4 Process

Did anyone ever get the dirt on what level of scam that was?

John

I don't think a dead site has a chance of disappearing from the Wayback machine, just sites that are still around now and use a robots.txt file to block it.

I suspect that:

* Beth got a chunk of that

If they existed prior to the divorce, they would have been part of the property in the divorce. Very common for those to be fully acounted for and delt with in divorces. Not knowledgeable on how you split it up, but suspect that the laws have been written in a way that rather than having to pull the funs out (i.e. penalties and taxes) that it can be split in the case of a divorce so that Beth's chunk goes into a similarly covered retirement plan.

* Ric has taken out the equiv loans against those bad boys

We know that the financial services industry has gotten completely sharkish in sucking money out of old people like vampires. Reverse mortages, selling rights in your life insurance, etc. I suspect there's predators out there who have similar things for pensions, 401K and other retirement benefits... waits... what's this just published yesterday?

The New 401(k): Not Just for Retirement Anymore: Contrary to standard financial advice, taking a loan from your retirement funds can sometimes be a smart move

The new ATM.

And while there's a "cap" of $50K, we know that the financial services industry are a bunch of blood sucking vampires who re-write laws to clean up their prior unlawful activity. Laws don't apply to them.

This is also Ric Flair we're talking about. Does anyone think he cares about there being a $50K max?

John

Mark Madden predictably defends Flair in a Wrestlezone in his own bluster heavy style:

TNA's is in control of Flair's salary. Subtract the advance from his next check. What's the big deal? If it was, say, Jeff Jarrett, it wouldn't have been a big deal.

This was about the pissant road manager showing Flair up. No matter how Flair behaved, that's what this was.

I've dealt with the pissant road manager. What a creep. Ridiculous level of self-importance for a guy hired to herd cats.

The TNA locker room, being such a healthy environment, balked at Flair's return to the tour. Never mind that Flair was HEADLINING. Never mind that Flair should be TNA's most respected figure. Never mind that TNA harbors drug addicts and ne'er-do-wells of every sort imaginable. Flair lost his temper, so let's ditch him. Amazing Red can headline.

Flair is one of wrestling's biggest draws ever. His last WWE match was with Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania. Now he's working a glorified indie circuit for one of the most mismanaged wrestling promotions in history. Gee, wonder why he's irritated?

Consider, also: TNA promised, as a condition of Flair's employment, to not hire Scott Steiner. But TNA did anyway. Flair and Steiner have long had a contentious relationship.

Flair is 61. He needs a job. When I'm 61, so will I. So will you. But he's working for a rotten company run by people who can't be trusted. You'd be pissed, too.

Another point of contention: Shawn Michaels reportedly asked Flair to attend his WWE Hall of Fame induction, perhaps to present. TNA said no. I've got to back TNA here. Flair is under contract to TNA. He can't appear on a WWE show.

Just heard from Nash. Voice message: "Bro, big rib. They told me the Rumble was in Cairo. You should see what's going on here."

I agree: that is almost exactly what one could have predicted out of Madden.

Never mind that TNA harbors... addicts and ne'er-do-wells of every sort imaginable.

Corrected so that we can include Ric among the addicts and ne'er-do-wells that TNA harbors.

John

Guest kowking

Ridiculous level of self-importance for a guy hired to herd cats.

An aside, but there's another term now shared between wrestling and strippers. "Trying to herd cats" is a term we use at the club when dealing with managing a bunch of dancers on a busy night.

Sorry, carry on.

That's also a phrase used by former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott to describe the Senate Leader's job. Not so different from wrestling/stripping -- faker, too.

"Herding cats" goes way beyond any of that. It's a business term. Project managers are fond of it.

Been round for decades:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=163007

The IT stuff at the top isn't actually the earliest use. Read lower and you'll see Mensa folk using it 30 years ago.

Probably some bleed between Mensa and IT given common people in both. Probably from IT into project management. Suspect it far predates that use at the Mensa convention... probably started at an academic level. Sounds like something a professor would say. :)

John

Never mind that TNA harbors... addicts and ne'er-do-wells of every sort imaginable.

Corrected so that we can include Ric among the addicts and ne'er-do-wells that TNA harbors.

No need to correct, after all alcohol is technically a drug and if not, Ric is covered by the catch all "ne'er-do-wells of every sort imaginable". :) Moreover, I guess the people most upset at Ric's behaviour weren't the people with worse problems than he has.

Mike Mooneyham promised an article on this situation.

I listened to him on Ringside Rap give a very sympathetic account of the situation at the 1hr 25min mark:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/psp/2011/02/03/ringside-rap

Flair might come out of this as the babyface. Mike also drops some interesting information on Kurt Angle.

If Flair does wind up the babyface in all of this, it would be because he has a lot of good friends in the wrestling media (Madden and Mooneyham are both pretty big Flair marks) and because most fans are more likely to take the side of Flair, the "greatest wrestler of all time" over some faceless TNA executive.

I mean, here are the facts as we have them:

-Flair bought a round of drinks at a bar after a TNA event.

-Flair did not have the money to cover his tab.

-Flair asked the TNA executive for a draw.

-Executive said no.

-Flair cuts a promo on executive.

-Flair refuses to get on bus to the airport the next day.

Was the faceless TNA executive being a hardass? Probably, he could have been a bit more accommodating with Flair's request to not make him look like an ass. But still...should Ric Flair be buying rounds at the bar when he's flat broke? I know he's the "Nature Boy" and all that...but jeez, he's also a 60 year old man, at some point he's gotta look in the mirror and realize if he can't afford to be buying rounds at the bar after matches, he should just chill out. I mean, he's Ric Flair, who isn't going to want to buy a drink or two for him? The problem still lies in Ric Flair being an absolute dope with his money, and this whole situation would have been avoided if he demonstrated even a lick of self-control, and that's the real story here.