Pro Wrestling Only

WWE quirks, linguistic and otherwise

Bix

Loss and I were talking about this on IM and he noticed a good one in addition to the buzzwords like medical facility/physicality/championship/antagonist/WWE Universe/Superstars/Divas etc:

When a heel is asked a question by an interviewer, he always repeats the question:

Interviewer: "Can you explain your actions?"

Superstar: "Explain my actions?"

So, what else?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much a WWE quirk, but I never noticed until last night how Layla pronounces it "Deever" instead of "Diva". I know she's got an accent and all but it's like her version of Regal always referring to "Triple Haitch".

Also it's funny when the commentators start speaking like Vince, like using "be that as it may" as a bridge from one train of thought to another when calling a match.

Don't forget they aren't straps or belts, but championships.

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark

Also, lying about what town they're in if they don't think the town sounds big enough is funny.

Not to derail, but plenty of "sports" (or games) do this. Saying your event is in Washington, D.C. is a lot better than whatever random suburb 95% of the country has never heard of from a marketing standpoint.

Unless you mean something like that they're in, say, Harrisburg, PA and say they're in Philly or Pittsburgh instead, which a a whole different level.

They get even worse abroad. "Live from England!" because they thought the name Birmingham sounded crappy for whatever reason. Or how many foreign wrestlers often never get specific hometowns: Tajiri was just from "Japan".

Speaking of wrestlers with just one name: why do they do that with the divas more often than with the dudes? You get your occasional Sheamus, but mostly it's always the women who are reduced to single-word names.

They get even worse abroad. "Live from England!" because they thought the name Birmingham sounded crappy for whatever reason. Or how many foreign wrestlers often never get specific hometowns: Tajiri was just from "Japan".

I don't see what Tamana, Kumamoto means even to hardcore fans, and Birmingham is pretty infamous for its crappiness.

I don't see what Tamana, Kumamoto means even to hardcore fans, and Birmingham is pretty infamous for its crappiness.

So is Cleveland, but they still announce the Miz from there.

It's even more odd considering that Sheamus's worked last name was O'Shaunessy, which you'd think Vince would have marked for since he loves all things Irish.

Too long, I would guess. Wrestling is designed for kids and, well, not very smart adults. Same reason there can't be two wrestlers with the same first name on the roster (see Garrison Cade). That's probably helpful for the announcers as well. Remember when JR would think Chris Jericho was Chris Benoit every week?

So is Cleveland, but they still announce the Miz from there.

Presumably, Cleveland means something to US fans that Birmingham doesn't.

Tonight on NXT, during the Summerslam recap, I loved Josh talking about Kane's tombstone that sent the Undertaker to "his place of torment".

As a subset of that, it's apparently OK for souls to go go hell (Kane and Taker have both said it numerous times) but saying a person will go to hell is a no-no.

Is there anything resembling an "official" list of banned moves? Chops, piledrivers, choking, certain top-rope moves, and established finishers all seem to be on there. But it's pretty confusing, since you'll often see someone doing one of the banned moves at some point or another, and sometimes it seems like they forget that a move is supposed to be off-limits. I remember Chris Harris bitching about that from his infamous cameo as Braden Walker, supposedly they told him so many moves he wasn't allowed to do that he just brainlocked and threw nothing but clotheslines once he got out there.

As a subset of that, it's apparently OK for souls to go go hell (Kane and Taker have both said it numerous times) but saying a person will go to hell is a no-no.

Unless it's Eddie Guerrero. Apparently it's okay to explicitly state that he's suffering in eternal damnation and hellfire, because "Eddy was a worker and would have understood" or something like that.