• 947 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

The Undertaker's "symbol."

#22 Log

Log
  • Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:01 PM

Tonight on NXT, during the Summerslam recap, I loved Josh talking about Kane's tombstone that sent the Undertaker to "his place of torment".

#23 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:47 PM

Tonight on NXT, during the Summerslam recap, I loved Josh talking about Kane's tombstone that sent the Undertaker to "his place of torment".

As a subset of that, it's apparently OK for souls to go go hell (Kane and Taker have both said it numerous times) but saying a person will go to hell is a no-no.

#24 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:History, politics, fake fighting.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:35 AM

The Undertaker's "symbol."

That came to mind. I think that was more a self-censoring thing, rather than WWE jargon. In either case, also from that era: the blood in Gangrel's goblet was always called "that viscous red liquid."

#25 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:46 AM

Is there anything resembling an "official" list of banned moves? Chops, piledrivers, choking, certain top-rope moves, and established finishers all seem to be on there. But it's pretty confusing, since you'll often see someone doing one of the banned moves at some point or another, and sometimes it seems like they forget that a move is supposed to be off-limits. I remember Chris Harris bitching about that from his infamous cameo as Braden Walker, supposedly they told him so many moves he wasn't allowed to do that he just brainlocked and threw nothing but clotheslines once he got out there.

As a subset of that, it's apparently OK for souls to go go hell (Kane and Taker have both said it numerous times) but saying a person will go to hell is a no-no.

Unless it's Eddie Guerrero. Apparently it's okay to explicitly state that he's suffering in eternal damnation and hellfire, because "Eddy was a worker and would have understood" or something like that.

#26 rovert

rovert
  • Banned
  • 2903 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:52 AM

Lead babyfaces (HHH & Cena) making gay jokes.

#27 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:56 AM

Good guys making fun of heels by calling them "sissies/ gay/ light in the loafers/ etc." has been part of wrestling since there's been wrestling. I love people who are all "It's a terrible HHH thing".

#28 kjh

kjh
  • Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

I really think it's something wrestling should try and get away from. It's 2010 after all and they rarely get over.

#29 rovert

rovert
  • Banned
  • 2903 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, they do it in a smarmy "not like there is anything wrong with that" way now rather than being just off colour about some else’s alleged sexual preference.

#30 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

Good guys making fun of heels by calling them "sissies/ gay/ light in the loafers/ etc." has been part of wrestling since there's been wrestling.
I love people who are all "It's a terrible HHH thing".

That reminds me of a video I saw on YouTube of babyface Jerry Lawler in Memphis calling Jimmy Valiant a fag from New York City.

#31 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Yeah, they do it in a smarmy "not like there is anything wrong with that" way now rather than being just off colour about some else’s alleged sexual preference.

This puts them catching up to early 90s Seinfeld humor in 2010, which is about the normal time curve for wrestling.

Coming soon: hypercolor wrestling gear!

#32 Guest_Cerebus The Aardvark_*

Guest_Cerebus The Aardvark_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

This puts them catching up to early 90s Seinfeld humor in 2010, which is about the normal time curve for wrestling.

Coming soon: hypercolor wrestling gear!

The difference is that hypercolor gear would be awesome.

#33 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6253 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

Look what I found in the old thread about the 1/3/08 Impact script leaking...

I like that there are at least 3 exchanges during the show where one person says something and the other person replies by repeating the last statement as a question.

#34 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

Guys who walk out over creative differences "taking their ball and going home".

#35 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

I noticed WWE seems to have a hatred against pronouns. Announcers always have to seem to refer to someone by their whole name, even if it means speaking awkwardly. It's never "he just slammed his head into the mat", it has to be "Edge just slammed John Cena's head into the mat" as if we can't tell from looking who did what. When it's a back and forth match, it gets real awkward as they have to mention each guy's name several times in a row.

#36 Guest_Slickster_*

Guest_Slickster_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

I'd imagine they do that so ANY sentence the announcers say can be used in a video package.

#37 CodySave

CodySave
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:01 PM

One that completely annoys me that I don't believe has been mentioned is not allowing anyone to have "Jr." in his/her name. This is why we now have Ted Dibiase, big WWF star of the late 80s and early 90s, simply referred to as "The Million Dollar Man" and his son Ted Jr. as "Ted Dibiase". Same thing a few years back when Chavo Jr. was "Chavo Guerrero" while the actual Chavo Guerrero was "Chavo Classic".

#38 sek69

sek69

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

All because Vince hated being called "Junior" when he's technically not really Vince Jr. I kind of feel him on that one since my dad's name was Pete and literally every one he knew used to call me "re-Pete" (note that my name is not Pete or anything like it which made it 100x as aggravating).

#39 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:29 AM

People say it's cause Vince doesn't like to be called "Junior". I think it's more that a grown man in Rasslin' who's supposed to be tough sounds weird to most people with "junior" after their name. Besides Dory Funk Jr. has there been anyone who REALLY eclipsed their Dad or whoever while tagged with being called "Junior"? And if you are a grown man, would you really still want to be called "Junior"? I asked Dory about the name change to "Hoss" in the WWF on a WO Radio show some years back and he said that he'd actually always been called "Hoss" in school and by his family and he had no problem with it.

#40 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4022 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:00 AM

Rayo De Jalisco Jr.? Tiger Conway Jr?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users