• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#41 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10272 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:01 AM

Actually there's been more than one person that worked for both Vince Sr and Jr who have stated specifically that VKM hated being called junior. As far as Juniors who eclipsed Seniors, there's been a lot of Juniors who've been at least as good as their fathers in Lucha. Chavo Guerrero Jr. in WCW arguably eclipsed Chavo Sr, who never really made it above territorial level. Rey Mysterio Jr became a bigger star than Rey Sr. ever did, even if Sr is really his uncle.

#42 kjh

kjh
  • Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

I really don't think you can make a good argument that Chavo Jr. eclipsed his father. Being a territorial headliner and Japanese junior heavyweight star is more impressive than being a decent mid card hand, even if it is for a national promotion.

#43 Guest_Slickster_*

Guest_Slickster_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

But Chavo is a former World champion! Anyway, I'm watching the Hulk Hogan Unreleased Collector's Series DVD and I caught something amusing. For this DVD, JR and Lawler did commentary over an untelevised Hogan-Backlund match from the Spectrum. GARY CAPETTA: There were no submissions or pinfalls; therefore the belt does not change hands. ROSS: And neither does the championship!

#44 rovert

rovert
  • Banned
  • 2903 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

But Chavo is a former World champion!

Anyway, I'm watching the Hulk Hogan Unreleased Collector's Series DVD and I caught something amusing. For this DVD, JR and Lawler did commentary over an untelevised Hogan-Backlund match from the Spectrum.

GARY CAPETTA: There were no submissions or pinfalls; therefore the belt does not change hands.
ROSS: And neither does the championship!

In jest I hope or was he interjecting?

#45 Guest_Slickster_*

Guest_Slickster_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

Pretty sure he was poking fun at the fact that 1980 Capetta used a word that 2009 JR has been told not to say.

#46 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

I really don't think you can make a good argument that Chavo Jr. eclipsed his father. Being a territorial headliner and Japanese junior heavyweight star is more impressive than being a decent mid card hand, even if it is for a national promotion.

For this sort of thing, how heavily should we count sheer number of asses in the seats and eyes on the screen? Far more people watched Chavo Jr. wrestle than ever saw his dad perform, even if Junior was just a forgettable midcarder for most of that time.

#47 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10272 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

But Chavo is a former World champion!

Anyway, I'm watching the Hulk Hogan Unreleased Collector's Series DVD and I caught something amusing. For this DVD, JR and Lawler did commentary over an untelevised Hogan-Backlund match from the Spectrum.

GARY CAPETTA: There were no submissions or pinfalls; therefore the belt does not change hands.
ROSS: And neither does the championship!

In jest I hope or was he interjecting?

Foley and Michael Cole did commentary on the 1980 Shea Stadium show for 24/7 and spent a good part of it making fun of all the things they aren't allowed to say, at one point Vince (who was ring announcing) said something that wouldn't be allowed now and Foley made a comment about "he's going to get yelled at when he goes to the back".

#48 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

The Shea Stadium commentary was pretty fun. John

#49 kjh

kjh
  • Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:14 AM

For this sort of thing, how heavily should we count sheer number of asses in the seats and eyes on the screen? Far more people watched Chavo Jr. wrestle than ever saw his dad perform, even if Junior was just a forgettable midcarder for most of that time.

When was Chavo Jr. ever responsible for drawing the sheer number of asses in the seats and eyes on the screen in WCW and WWE?

#50 Log

Log
  • Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:11 AM

This whole "longestrunningweeklyepisodicshowontelevision" thing is getting old really fast. What the hell does that mean?

#51 Boondocks Kernoodle

Boondocks Kernoodle
  • Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:18 AM

It just means that they have aired more episodes than Gunsmoke, Bonanza, M*A*S*H, Cheers or any other long running comedy/drama, with which Raw is ostensibly in the same category. At least it's better than that "Action/Adventure" crap from early '99.

#52 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:47 AM

"Weekly" is the key word there. There are plenty of soap operas which ran for decades and knock Raw's dick in the dirt when it comes to longevity and productivity.

#53 Coffey

Coffey

@Skelemania

• Members
  • 3793 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

It just seems like another way for Vince & Co. to scream "we're not a wrestling show, we're an entertainment show!" to me.

#54 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:28 AM

It's uncanny how many of Vince's verbal mannerisms have transferred to his talent without his having to direct it.

Wrestlers seem to throw in an unusual number of mentions of "quite frankly" compared to the rest of the populace, and just about everybody a few years ago would speak about "this very ring".

One of the examples that really jumped out to me of subliminal adoption was actually one of JR's terms. Lita was on Off The Record and described something as "hellacious". I know that etymologically it was college slang from the 30s, but I'd never heard anyone other than JR use the word. (Which really ground my gears anyway: What's wrong with "hellish"?)

Black wrestlers are always the best "pure athletes" it seems.

Well, if you choose to ignore that the first two to be given that label by JR were Shawn Michaels and Billy Gunn, I suppose so.

#55 Hollinger.

Hollinger.
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

It's "natural athletes", not pure. Pure refers to something else.

#56 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6237 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

Just remembered one while watching Raw: Overly verbose references to standard gimmick matches, like "5 on 5 tag team elimination match" or "2 on 1 handicap match," when the less detailed versions used to be the norm.

#57 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43387 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

I haven't noticed it in years, but they used to always say "kisser" instead of "mouth", and also use the word "official" instead of "referee".

#58 Indikator

Indikator
  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

I always thought "kisser" was a southern thing. But I'm from Europe so what do I know

#59 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43387 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

You would think that, but Vince McMahon, who hates Southern things, and Gorilla Monsoon would say it all the time.

#60 Coffey

Coffey

@Skelemania

• Members
  • 3793 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

Now it's skull. No one is hit in the head, they're hit in the skull. Randy Orton punts people in the skull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users