Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-01-04-NJPW-Wrestling World 1996] Nobuhiko Takada vs Keiji Muto

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

We decided to clip this since the match was a huge draw, but has a bit of a bad rep for Muto's laziness, so it's hard to make any huge judgments here, but this isn't a terrible stretch of wrestling by any means. They have the crowd in the palm of their hands, so they can pretty much do whatever they want. But sadly, that looks to be exactly what they do. Too bad, they probably could have delivered a classic had they wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

There's alot of hate for this match, but I always really liked it. I loved the heat and the big match feel of it. Had Mutoh not done his elbow and the moonsault it probably would have been better, but I think Takada got alot out of him. Mutoh's walk of shame after the match really put over how much was on the line in this match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I dont blame you guys for clipping this match. I watched the full match and up until the Mutoh headbutts (around 10 minute mark I think) this match was boring as watch the grass grow. The beginning was just sitting in holds with Takada trying a bit harder than Mutoh to make it watchable, but seemed like both were just waiting for the finish. I commend Mutoh going for a double wristlock out of the moonsault so that Takada does not have to kick out of it that is smart protection. Watching the 1995 match first where you understand that Takada had tapped to the Figure 4 it helps build the drama towards the finish. Takada seemed to be going after any limb that was there without any rhyme or reason. The finish seemed anti-climatic. Mutoh gets the Figure 4, which is a great drama then Takada just is like now it is my turn and puts on a cross armbreaker a couple times for the win. I much preferred the October match to this.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well done on the clip job as I’ve seen the full and it’s not very good. It wasn’t great but the crowd was into Mutoh versus Takada. If anyone is deserving of being hit by a 40 yard ramp run down it is Takada. Not a victory I am happy about. Thanks for showing up Mutoh.

• 4 months later...

I vaguely remember thinking that this was good in parts and undeserving of the hate it gets. So I watched it in full again. Sure enough Mutoh was complete shit and the whole match sucked.

Lazy, unfocused, directionless matwork. Lacking any intensity or urgency. Little chemistry and a poor combining of the two styles. Mutoh hitting his finisher out of nowhere and applying a submission rather than going for the pin. This is NJ rules rather than UWFI. The bad selling at the end and the pathetic sulking because he lost the title. I'm starting to sound like Mike Lorefice here. :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hot crowd, but these two simply do not have any chemistry at all. The action is better down the stretch than any part of the October match, but isolated from the crowd there isn't much substance here. Controlling a crowd is important--vital, even--so I'm not discounting that. But it takes more than amped crowd to create a true classic.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-01-04-NJPW-Wrestling World 1996] Nobuhiko Takada vs Keiji Muto