Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-01-23-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXXII] Brian Pillman vs Eddy Guerrero

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot about the "Mrs. Guerrero's chili" jokes Bobby Heenan loved to make. But this match is way more famous for the "What the fuck are you doing?" slip Heenan made on live TV. He's pretty shook by Pillman grabbing him and has to walk around ringside to regain his composure, and he spends the rest of the match trying to regain his composure. Pillman seems to know he messed him up and even exits the ring by scooting across the announce table for kicks.

The match itself is too short to really be anything.

• 1 month later...

You're saying Heenan was legit freaked out? Nice, I was chalking it up to getting the angle over. Pillman and Eddy work well together. I would like to see them go 20 min.

Watching this set really reminds me of how much death there's been in rasslin. It somethimes feels as if Almost every segment has someone dead or crippled in it. I know 96 was fifteen years ago, but it feels like yesterday to me.

I gather from an interview with Heenan that his neck was in very bad shape from the years of injuries, and that was what led to his freak out when Pillman grabbed him. Historical perspective : at the time there were some rumours afloat that Heenan was looking to jump back to the WWF, so when this happened it added fuel to the fire that he was deliberately trying to get himself fired.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Call the WCW hotline to hear about Eric Bischoff’s thoughts on the Billionaire Ted skits. Heenan throws a fit when Pillman grabs him from behind. Bobby takes a walk to cool off and then apologizes for his language. Heenan is able to go back to broadcast journalist mode. Pillman gets the win and tries to exit the ring by the announce area which runs off Bobby again. Watch the neck.

• 4 months later...

Brian Pillman vs Eddie Guerrero - Clash of the Champions XXXII

Tony: "Given the actions that just transpired, I think it is safe to say you want Eddie to win."

Bobby: "Oh no! I still like Pillman's style. Just keep him away from me."

Classic Heenan.

This match is infamous for adding the cult status of Pillman's Loose Canon gimmick. During one of his strolls around the outside, he decided to try to take off Heenan's jacket. Heenan, with a very fragile neck, was unnerved and explicitly said on air "What the fuck are you doing?" He composed himself and continued to be a proponent of Pillman. What is interesting is that before Pillman did that to Heenan, he kinda shoved Tony in the head. That sort of freaked the Brain out as he stated "Your head whipped back and forth" in a nervous tone. That comment could have been subtle foreshadowing. Was Brain in on the deal?

The match was short and more focused on getting Pillman over as a character. I liked Eddie not backing down from Pillman's four fingers in his face. Pillman was a really effective heel. He cheats, cowers, and is proud of his Four Horsemen status. I don't know if everybody has to go as far as Pillman would with the cheating, but I would like some modern heels to actual be heels in the ring. An eyerake never hurt anyone. Eddie had some cool offense to pop the crowd like a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker or the tornado DDT. Also, he got his receipt for a Pillman slap with a paintbrush of his own. I liked how Guerrero and Malenko did not back down from Pillman and each had their own spots. They did not have feel like generic faces, but wrestlers contributing to a match. After a double leg takedown with the feet on the ropes did not work, Pillman hit a nice cross body and grabbed the tights for the win.

You could only wish that there was no accident and that Pillman could have gotten 20 minutes with these guys because he was such an excellent heel. He was combining the heel tactics from his mentors, Flair & AA, with maniacal tendencies that created a unique blend of heel hitherto unexplored.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

On here for the infamous Pillman/Heenan incident. Even before car wreck, Pillman was obviously banged up and pretty physically shot, as this match is almost totally smoke and mirrors and stalling, before a sudden and rather cheap finish. Pillman plays his role well, but he looks pretty done as a worker already.

• 2 weeks later...

We get Bobby freaking out and PIllman clowning and egging him on. I actually think Pillman still had a lot to offer right here and was still moving well and being a complete "loose cannon" pardon the pun. I thought Eddy getting over was a good testament to him giving his look and placement right here. (**)

• GSR changed the title to [1996-01-23-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXXII] Brian Pillman vs Eddy Guerrero