Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-02-05-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels & Diesel vs Davey Boy Smith & Yokozuna

Loss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think Yoko as a babyface had some legs and they probably could have gotten more out of it than they did.

I guess his weight issues were a problem, but still, Yoko's babyface turn was just a way to put him out. His only feud with Vader was a terrible idea for both men (putting monster Vader against a guy who made him look small), and they did nothing afterward. Going from WWF champion to tag champ to pretty much a JTTS is pretty sad for such a good worker. Yoko could have done so much more. Again, I guess his weight was becoming more and more uneathly, but I was surprised Hogan never tried to get him to WCW just to get his win back.

• 2 years later...

Michaels and Diesel still on good terms with each other. I hate those hats HBK fans wore in 96. Yoko’s weight is really getting up there. Yoko does his unconscious Summerslam 93 bump to the outside. Cornette is not happy with Yoko on this loss. Bulldog and Owen beatdown on Yoko turning him face. Hard to push Yoko at this size as anything but a heel.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably the last time Diesel felt like a true babyface for the match in his WWF run. I liked this match a good deal and was impressed with Davey Boy and his athleticism and keeping things moving in the heat segment. Finish was clever in keeping YOko pretty strong and play up his weight as Owen and Davey can't lift him to get back into the ring. Solid stuff and felt different from most stuff on Raw. **3/4

• 2 years later...

I liked this match a lot. Really energetic opening, followed by a short battle between Diesel and Yokozuna, then a Michaels face in peril leading to a really hot finish. Michaels takes some good bumps here. The final assault by Michaels and Diesel was awesome, loved the splash off the shoulders and thought Yoko losing it by countout for his team was a cool ending. Post-match angle is great, really makes Yokozuna look strong. Fans got really into Yoko going wild.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-02-05-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels & Diesel vs Davey Boy Smith & Yokozuna