Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-02-15-NJPW-Fighting Spirit] Jushin Liger & Black Tiger vs Shinjiro Otani & Koji Kanemoto

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

This was great! Lots of dramatic saves that were made better by the element of surprise, since the camerawork was spectacular. All action with Liger and Tiger heeling it up quite a bit. This also seems to be the start of the Junior Four Horsemen stuff in New Japan. One of my favorite matches on the set so far, and another notch in Otani's belt in 1996.

• 3 weeks later...

Really good tag without needing to go all-out. Nice to see them waste no time with generic opening sequences and go right into the heel control on Liger before Eddy can even tag in. Eddy's hot tag was a bit weak/short, but it lead into a payback spot which are one of my guilty (or not) pleasures. They lost momentum for a minute or so when Kanemoto came in on Eddy and did the Sayama headlock/toe hold for no reason - other than to get it in, I guess - but Liger quickly picked things up again and the finishing run was strong without being "big match". All looked at least good, Liger looking the best for me over Ohtani, and just a real good "TV" tag...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Yeah, this was good. I find myself sort of tuning out when watching a lot of this junior heavyweight stuff (on this and the '93 yearbook), but I can get behind Ohtani and Kanemoto acting like punks and Liger/Tiger putting them in their place. Didn't go too long, had enough moments of someone acting like an asshole, strong finishing run...good stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Decent effort with the Juniors fulfilling their role on the card. No need to go too crazy. Give the fans a strong B match and warm them up for the big boys. Which isn't to say this wasn't the best match on the show. Ohtani and Kanemoto were dicking it up and made a good combo.

• 1 year later...

Good little match. Otani and Kanemoto brutalize Liger, but when Liger gets the hot tag he and Tiger pay Kanemoto back for everything they did, tearing his knee to pieces. Not only is this good, effective work, it plays into the finish as Kanemoto is unable to make that final save as he's out on the floor clutching that bad leg. Otani and Kanemoto are such great dicks...I really want to see them team up with Samurai or Honaga and take on the Michinoku Pro babyfaces.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome tag and I wish we had a series of them throughout the years. I was gearing up for an Otani/Kanemoto bulldozier dick fest until Kanemoto got caught and was the FIP. Liger adn Tiger really impressed me here just waylaying on Kanemoto to where you start to build some sympathy up for them. Hot finish too and New Japan has churned out the best matches of 96 so far. ****

• 2 years later...

Jushin Thunder Liger & Black Tiger vs Shinjiro Ohtani & Koji Kanemoto - NJPW 2/15/96

Ohtani & Kanemoto are a great pairing. Ohtani brings the histrionics and character of a bratty upstart. Kanemoto is your strait-laced badass. Liger is such a charismatic character. I liked all the mirror spots between Liger and Kanemoto. Kanemoto ties Liger up and tags out to Ohtani and they beat up Liger for the first five minutes. They work over his leg, but they are just laying into him and just being general dicks to him. Ohtani is such an ass. I think this is the one instance when you can skip the shine. When the babyface is so established and the heels are the clear underdogs, by skipping the shine you lend the heels more credibility. The shine is twofold it is entertaining to watch your favorite kick ass but it also makes you invest in the hero. Nobody likes a loser. People love underdogs, but not losers. Shine makes you believe the underdog has a chance. Liger is not an underdog so he doesn't necessarily need a shine. Liger holds ropes on a dropkick and tags out to Eddy. The match loses its way for a bit until they target Kanemoto's knee. Liger was doing a great job directing traffic in there. The juniors definitely see selling as optional. Before you know it everyone is just flying around. In fairness, it was a hot finish stretch. I loved the stereo powerbombs by the good guys. I really liked Kanemoto eating a German only for Ohtani to nail Liger in the back with a springboard dropkick. Kanemoto splashes Black Tiger, but hurts himself. DRAGON SUPLEX! Black Tiger bulldozes Ohtani! Great save! Really dramatic. Double team powerbomb on Ohtani and with Kanemoto injured on the outside things look bleak for the upstart rebels of the junior division. Top rope Frankensteriner into a Frogsplash. BRAINBUSTER~! Black Tiger picks up the duke over Ohtani. Kanemoto makes late save and eats brainbuster from Liger.

I thought this was strange booking. I feel like you would want to build up Ohtani as a challenger to Liger, but maybe they thought they had something with Eddy long term. I thought the beginning was the best part. I don't they really had another very effective segment after that. The finish run was hot, but did not have the foundation to really reach the heights of a great match. ***1/4

• 7 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-02-15-NJPW-Fighting Spirit] Jushin Liger & Black Tiger vs Shinjiro Otani & Koji Kanemoto