Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-02-17-ECW-Cyberslam] Interview: Brian Pillman

Loss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was there at the Arena live for this. It was the first time I had been to an ECW show and it was quite a crazy weekend. The show the night before got snowed out and everyone, including the wrestlers, just hung out at the hotel and drank. A lot.

There was a Q&A with Heyman and a lot of the roster the day of this show and there were murmurs of Pillman possibly being there but they were either ignored or just shot down. The lights off and him appearing in the ring was a really cool "fan" moment.

• 2 years later...

Styles puts over the Internet convention going on in the Arena. Lights go off and Pillman is in the ring. Crowd loving it. Pillman has been fired from WCW and he runs down Bischoff. It may have not amounted to much in ECW but fun to see. Pillman calls the fans a bunch of marks. Segment went too long when Douglas got involved and Pillman beat up that "fan".

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Pillman's promo is mostly whatever and this stuff ages HORRIBLY, though his shutting up the ECW mutants by comparing them all to Eric Bischoff was nice. I enjoyed seeing Hat Guy look like he was about to cry. I was never really on the Loose Cannon bandwagon to start with, and then as now I'm left wondering what it was supposed to accomplish. Douglas making sure to get "he's shooting" over the mic was pretty contrived, too. The fan attack was pretty good. This is an angle worth seeing and in a weird way I sort of admire Pillman's total commitment to the character, but watching from hindsight it's a little clearer that we're watching a man in a downward spiral.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This was awesome, incredibly well-executed angle. On paper, this could have been lame, but Pillman more than makes it work. I'm always interested in glimpses into pre-mass-internet-usage smart fan culture.

Internet convention! LOL, local fans booing it.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-02-17-ECW-Cyberslam] Interview: Brian Pillman