Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-02-26-WWF-Raw] Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels & Roddy Piper

Loss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Michaels and Bret stuff here was dying a horrible death, a five minute tirade of two guys saying "I respect you, but I think I am a bit better than you" is not what sells PPVs (or even keep TV viewers). Piper at least brought some fire into this, though I would not say he saved the segment.

• 2 years later...

Piper mentions he doesn't like the crowd booing Bret. I wasn't hearing them myself. Bret talks about a tough five months lately getting beat up by tall guys. Shawn responds that he got beat up by nine guys. Anyways, Piper doesn't want the title match to end in some type of fluke. So he sets up a one hour Ironman match. Both Shawn and Bret are cool with that.

• 1 year later...

God, with Vince out of the booth even Lawler has to gush about the reaction Shawn's getting, though he tries to play it off in that Bobby Heenan "make fun of a guy and put him over at the same time" manner. Shawn and Bret play mutual admiration, with the crowd not exactly thrilled with Bret. This is a typical WWF babyface vs. babyface yawner of a segment until Piper comes out and injects some passion and energy into things. I liked Piper shitting on the idea of Shawn showing off his abs as proof of great condition. He doesn't want a DQ or a copout finish or a fluke, so he makes it an Ironman Match.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Lawler filling in for Vince's usual gushing over Michaels was hilarious, and he was able to some extent to keep character with it. Watching this segment, this match up doesn't seem that big to me. I can't say I'm looking forward to revisiting the Iron Man match as I go into March.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-02-26-WWF-Raw] Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels & Roddy Piper