Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-03-02-WCW-Saturday Night] Ric Flair vs Sting

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Match goes off the air before the finish, which aired on the 3/9 Pro show. Both are spliced together here. Fun as always, but it's here I realize every single Flair/Sting match is the exact same sequences in slightly different order. Really bad finish, as Luger runs in and purposely gets Sting DQ'd and Sting isn't happy about it, but he keeps teaming with him of course. It's like they were doing a parody of Luger (all the turns) and Sting (being overly trusting) at the same time during this run.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always liked this matchup and they always deliver a good match. Crowd was really into this, and the match gets digested better when the fans cheer the face, and boo the heel. Sure, it's very samey to their other 500 matches, but I like their other 500 matches how they are. This was really building into something nice when Luger came out. I mean they had to be building to a Sting/Luger feud until the NWO showed up. At least they were going a slow build type to it.

• 10 months later...

I agree that this was building pretty well until the Luger run in cut the nuts off it. Before that it's largely the same Sting/Flair match you'll have seen before, but that's not a match-up I hate, so it was fine for what it was.

Great Dusty moment on commentary: "You're EVIL. EEEEEEEEVIL." Talking about Woman, of course.

• 1 year later...

Good match even with the same spots Flair and Sting used with each other. I do wonder how things worked with Nitro being live but the finish of this match being delayed from one weekend to the next. Luger's interference was laughable with Sting having reversed the figure four. You have to wonder how Sting being so gullible didn't turn him heel with the fans.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I do wonder how things worked with Nitro being live but the finish of this match being delayed from one weekend to the next.

Nitro was pre-empted that week.

Anyway, this match is so redondant at this point, we've seen this a million time, and it's exactly what Loss said, your usual Flair vs Sting stuff with the order of sequences mixed up, as always. Tells no story, it's just a bunch of stuff. The no-finish gimmick was a nice throwback to the days of old, but it also garanteed a shit finish, which of course it was in the end.

• 11 months later...

I liked this better than a number of other Flair/Sting bouts, though I still like the babyface-babyface '94 WCWSN title match and the first Nitro match more. This was slower-paced and while we got the usual Sting no-selling-chops/popping-up-from-suplexes bits that we always get in this matchup, Sting's Hulk-Ups felt a little more organic, for whatever reason. Shit finish that makes both Sting and Luger look like total idiots. There had to be a better way for Luger to cost Sting the match than that.

Also, WCWSN is back on the road for the first time in forever. Thank God, as Center Stage was one of my least favorite weekly venues.

• 1 month later...

Big match for WCWSN in this era. Match was on the lower spectrum of a feud I am not that fond of to begin with. Flair in this run has been an interesting case study. His performances haven't been bad at all, but gone are the days of ***1/2 matches with the likes of Tom Zenk. Even the stuff that is allowed time, is below that mark for the first time. I don't know if it is a blemish to contemplate when discussing him as the best wrestler of all time, but it is worth mentioning. The finish here made Sting look a littler naive (shock I know). He did at least have a verbal spat with Luger about him coming in and blatantly interfering. **

• 2 years later...

Good match that gets better as it goes on. I particularly liked the Sting no-sell spot toward the end when Flair is chopping him and punching him with Sting standing there. They make this feel like a really big deal. Luger interferes to DQ Sting! I'm still liking the Luger/Sting storyline a lot, both of them get over the finish and trajectory of the angle real well after the match.

If they're still trying to sell that Luger is sincere, if heelish, in his trying to help Sting the way he got Sting DQed is lazy; but if they're trying to make his negative impacts on Sting more and more transparent to build to a full heel turn, it works.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-03-02-WCW-Saturday Night] Ric Flair vs Sting