Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-03-09-ECW-Big Ass Extreme Bash] Rey Misterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Easily the best of the lucha matches in ECW, and one of my favorite matches of theirs. They give them plenty of time to deliver a great match, and of course the highlight is Juventud powerbombing Rey on the hood of a car outside the arena.

I will say that I sometimes get the feeling watching these matches now that Rey is too dominant in them, plus he pretty much never loses, so that does take some of the suspense out. But I can also understand, since Rey's offense is one of the things that makes these guys different, so they need to showcase it.

Still, I'd like to see Juventud and Psicosis allowed to be a little more dominant in these matches sometimes.

• 11 months later...

This might be my favourite Rey/Juventud match, primarily because it doesn't have the clusterfuckery that the AAA match later in the month has. They don't do much that you won't have seen out of them by this point, but it's still pretty impressive stuff. The crowd dives will always look super reckless and crazy.

• 1 year later...

Why have a regular bash when you can have a Big Ass Extreme Bash? Sure this was a spotfest with barely any selling but it was really good fun. Plenty of spectacular aerial warfare from the two youngsters. They worked so fluently together. Plus an added hardcore element which included fighting outside the arena on the trunk of a car.

• 1 year later...

It's a spotfest, but holy fuck, what spots they are. The execution these two have is just unbelievable. Even Juvy's relatively basic Japanese-inspired suplexes and throws look awesome. Rey gets power bombed onto the hood of a car and then pops back up to give Juventud a huracanrana off the hood onto the sidewalk. Oh My God indeed.

• 1 month later...

Finally, the Rey match from 96 I have been looking forward. This was a great spotfest but also had some semblance of a story going on and didn't completely rely on playing up to the ECW faithful. Juvy was also exceptional in this and overall this is my favorite match of theirs that I can recall seeing. ****

• 2 years later...

Very similar to their earlier match, which I liked more for compactness. This is definitely a your turn-my turn kind of match, total spotfest, but the spots looked good and the match never got boring. Definitely a match understandably more exceptional in its day than it is now. The car spots are still cool. Fun stuff, not great.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-03-09-ECW-Big Ass Extreme Bash] Rey Misterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera
  • 4 weeks later...

Rey Mysterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera - ECW Big Ass Extreme Bash '96

It has been a while since I have had some Juvy Juice in my life. 

First Fall: Action is fast & furious. I am a sucker for those knucklelock/monkey flip spots. Rey was so breath-taking in this era. There were little things that bothered. A couple times Rey just stood there waiting to be kicked. It was definitely very spotty, but the spots are legitimately. Rey hits an amazing split-legged top rope Asai Moonsault. Then Juvy drills him with a brainbuster like I said a spotfest, but they two are executing to perfection.  Juvy hits an amazing Springboard Somersault Dropkick that I totally marked out for. Dragon Suplex for Juvytude! I didnt feel like Juvy is as good of a pure heel as Psicosis. But this was super fun.

Second Fall: Just as I write that Juvy takes the ass-first Psicosis bump into the top turnbuckle! Rey just goes off in this fall. I am not super into this Rey gets beat up and then just makes a Superman comeback. It is not  often you see Rey hit not one, but two powerbombs in a match. I loved the somersault plancha over the ref. That was awesome. Just a really good showcase of Rey's talents as an offense wrestler to tie up the match.

Third Fall: AWESOME!  They kick it into overdrive taking this from a good showcase match to one of the best spotfests you will ever see. Juvytud starts off the fall with three awesome dropkicks all from different angles. Juvy hits an Asai moonsault into the crowd. Then it is just balls to the wall. I remember Juvy missing a slingshot somersault legdrop. Rey Rey hitting a powerbomb as Juvy was coming off the top. Suplexes being traded. Hat Guy giving Rey a chair and him smashing Juvy's brains in before a massive somersault plancha into the crowd by Hat Guy and just wiping everything out. Powerbomb by Juvy on the hood of a car and Rey then hits a rana off the hood of the car onto the concrete. Insane! Rey throws a chair so hard at Juvy that it fucking horse collars him! Joey nailed it on this one "That hurt!" Fuck yeah. Splash Mountain->Rana you know the finish but goddamn it is an awesome one. Rey wins the match. 

Just a great balls to the wall spotfest. This was lucha should have been in WCW like all the time for years. ****

• 1 year later...

I loved this too, it hits great for me.  It’s my favorite of the Juvi/Rey matches to date.  I loved the finish with Rey pulling out the table (so, I thought the table would be involved before the finish), but Rey gets him off the top rope instead... then puts him through the table! Super fun match - what a time in ECW!