Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-03-25-WCW-Nitro] Sting & Lex Luger vs American Males

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Bischoff: "Did you know that Tony Schiavone's real first name is Noah?"

I have no idea what made that come up.

Anyway, I've talked about this match recently, but it's hilarious for Luger wrestling like a face when Sting is looking and like a heel when he's not. Sting and Bagwell work some crazy-speed sequences and Luger is a riot, being the only guy who's not wrestling like a sportsman, going crazy on Bagwell in a scene you kinda have to see to believe.

The post-match is fun too, with Luger celebrating like he's won the Superbowl.

• 3 years later...

Luger is hilarious here, from the way he changes gears while on his way to the ring as soon as Sting watches him, to the way he loses his shit all over Bagwell, to his ridiculous post-match celebration. Remember how dull and boring he was a year earlier in the WWF ? He made a decent little TV match into the highlight of the week.

Luger is hilarious here, from the way he changes gears while on his way to the ring as soon as Sting watches him, to the way he loses his shit all over Bagwell, to his ridiculous post-match celebration. Remember how dull and boring he was a year earlier in the WWF ? He made a decent little TV match into the highlight of the week.

Yes! So glad to be reminded of this match!

• 11 months later...

Cocky Heel Lex turning into Smily Happy Made in the USA Lex when Sting looks at him will never get old or not hilarious. Makes Sting look like a dope, but that ship sailed awhile ago anyway. Anyway, this is pretty fun--I'm amazed that somebody in WCW was paying enough attention to bring up the history of Sting bringing Bagwell into the sport. That makes for a fun in-match story, with Sting and Bagwell wrestling all sportsmanlike and Luger going nuts and beating the shit out of him.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I loved this. Using the *way* a match is worked for further a storyline just doesn't seem like something you see very often, and it was done really well here. Luger is a riot, switching from heel to face depending on if Sting is looking, and the way he snaps into heel mode throughout the match. Ending is pretty cool with a fast rope running sequence and Sting and Luger contrast strongly post-match. This is my favorite storyline of the year so far.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-03-25-WCW-Nitro] Sting & Lex Luger vs American Males