Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-03-31-WWF-Wrestlemania XII] Roddy Piper vs Goldust (Hollywood Backlot Brawl)

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Good comedy in the pre-in-ring stuff, as Piper chases Goldust down a Los Angeles highway in a white Bronco. When the match spills into the ring, the action is great and has more heat than anything on the show. Shocked reaction at times, like when Goldust kisses Piper, and when Piper strips him down to women's lingerie. I actually thought this was really well done.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Who is this narrating the pre-match package?

I was stunned by how good, well-thought-out, and well-worked this was, and how much I enjoyed it. The Backlot stuff is some of the stiffest and most intense brawling the WWF has seen in a match in ages, with some awesome punches thrown by both guys. And either Piper is a total loon or they did some terrific camera and editing work when he (or a stuntman) got nailed by the gold Cadillac. Compare to how WCW would have handled this, at any point in history, and it's night and day. The attention to detail and production values are still a huge advantage for the WWF.

Then after a few matches and some OJ footage we head to the ring, and this is actually pretty psychologically sound: not only does Goldust work over Piper's knee, but the homoerotic stuff is actually sewn into the match very effectively. We get one of the first gay payback spots in wrestling history before Piper strips Goldust down to his Marv Albert lingerie and sends him retreating. If I kept track of star ratings this would be in the ***1/2 range. Goldust put it together as a worker earlier than I thought.

• 1 month later...

I had no idea what to rate this thing but it was an enjoyable spectacle with many facets and some stiff brawling mixed in with getting over the bizarre persona of Goldust. I still love the crowd reaction when Piper strips him.

Was that Cole narrating? Seems too early but it sounded like him to me.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-03-31-WWF-Wrestlemania XII] Roddy Piper vs Goldust (Hollywood Backlot Brawl)
  • 2 years later...

If you can overlook the homophobia of this angle, the Backlot portion of this felt like an interesting precursor to the Hardcore division. Piper might of been getting on a bit by 1996, but he still looks like a star and is as charismatic as ever. Once they finally make it to the arena, they brawl around the place until Piper strips Goldust down to his underwear and is declared the winner. Although this is impossible to rate, I didn't hate this as it felt different and the crowd dug it.