Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-04-15-WWF-Raw] Interview: Bret Hart

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

We get a couple of minutes of exclusive footage of Bret throwing the cameraman out of his dressing room. He then does an interview from Germany making some valid points about the finish of the Ironman match, even if he does come across as a bit whiny. I have to ask if the problems Shawn had could have been helped by Bret endorsing him as champion. Bret also said he could never work for another company because it would be a step down.

One thing I love about Bret is that it always seems like he's shooting when he talks, whether he is or not. I'm pretty convinced these are his true feelings, whether they are or not.

• 4 weeks later...

The beginning of "whiny Bret" that would turn Austin face. The thing is, Bret was actually right about everything he said. But yeah, it came off as whiny. Still, a wrestling interview that sound real, that makes sense and that build a wrestling rivalry based on wrestling. Hey, might be a good idea...

We get a couple of minutes of exclusive footage of Bret throwing the cameraman out of his dressing room. He then does an interview from Germany making some valid points about the finish of the Ironman match, even if he does come across as a bit whiny. I have to ask if the problems Shawn had could have been helped by Bret endorsing him as champion. Bret also said he could never work for another company because it would be a step down.

One thing I love about Bret is that it always seems like he's shooting when he talks, whether he is or not. I'm pretty convinced these are his true feelings, whether they are or not.

Bret has a very strong confident charisma about him.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Bret tells the camera to "fuck off" as he's leaving the building, which is pretty eyebrow-raising even in a company that's far more adult than it was 6 months earlier. It IS kinda bullshit that they rang the bell and got Bret to break the Sharpshooter. Bret has no intention of taking a step down with another wrestling company for money--well, at least he didn't pull a Diesel and declare that he'd get a sex change before going to WCW. He does say that his desire to come back to the WWF is waning, and we fade right out.

Bret's gravitas is undeniable. That he's such a huge mark for himself is, to me, a feature and not a bug.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Great promo from Bret. He does come across as whiny, but he also has valid points and is sincere. Bret is a great promo and he delivers this very well, good continuation of some subtle verging-on-heelness that started with his dismissive, condescending remarks toward Shawn during the Mania build up.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-04-15-WWF-Raw] Interview: Bret Hart