Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-04-19-ECW-Plymouth Meeting, PA] Sabu vs 2 Cold Scorpio

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Another time limit draw for these guys. I think I like the Cyberslam match better, but there are some awesome moments here, like the Scorpio monkey flip into the crowd. Yeah, the table spot took a long time to set up, but it worked, so it's hard to fault these guys too much. Another example of Scorp leaving a lot of his offense at home when working Sabu to get Sabu's style over. There is a ridiculous moment on the floor where he's selling by trying to force himself to throw up. I tend to like small shows over big shows, TV over PPV, and rare matches over widely available matches. It's a bias I'm definitely self-aware about. But I think it's deserved here. In spite of a few questionable moments, this is a really strong match.

It might have been better with time calls. That may have telegraphed the draw, but not if they were just doing it all the time.

I think I saw this match. Honestly it got on my nerves because Scorp was TV champ and could not lose, Sabu was not going to lose and ECW did not do double count outs. So they end up having to do time limit draws. One thing Sabu does not get credit for is building to the big spot in the end. He may do other big spots in the match but it always builds to something.

I do appreciate them attempting to mix it up and not do the same match every night but this seemed like a mess. Unless this was not a fancam and I'm an idiot.

• 1 month later...

The thing I get out of these Fancam matches is how great the heels work the crowd. Scorpio is great at it as I like how he warned the crowd ahead of time that they were going all over the building. The table spots were good cause the crowd kept chanting but they didn't go for it right away. Good match that was different from the only other Sabu/2 Cold match I've seen(Cyberslam).

• 3 years later...

I continue to be underwhelmed by this series. Actually I was secretly hoping, upon hearing the meathead members of the crowd yelling "bo-ring" 30 seconds in, that these guys would stay on the mat for the entire 20 minutes (I know before this even started it was going to a draw, which meant it had two strikes against it already). Also, nothing seemed like it had any consequence in this match--Scorpio takes a huracanrana through a table and a Frankensteiner off the turnbuckle and is the first guy up both times. The only real attempts at psychology are Scorpio's awesome superkick as a cutoff move and Sabu using a knee injury as an excuse to be late on covers.

• 1 month later...

Another good match in this series that I liked a smidge better than Cyberslam but they do have a great match in them if they edited some of the time out. This as a 20 minute match would have been there but it lost its momentum for me as it kept going. Still some crazy spots besides that completely dumb spot Scorpio does with the table that is propped up. ***1/2

• 2 years later...

A 20 minute draw definitely works out much better for them than a 30 minute draw. I liked their February match quite a lot but as a match, this was definitely a lot better and more focused. This felt like a real, scrappy, hard fought match with a legit clash of styles. Scorp's offense looks great here, especially this slingshot superkick that he does which was totally awesome. Crowd starts jeering "boring" about 15 seconds in when they're doing an arm wrench, and chant for tables throughout. But it's not overwhelmingly annoying. They set up a table early on and work around it for the rest of the match, and the spot where they finally pull the trigger on it is really good. Unlike their February match which started to lose its steam at the end, this match actually peaks toward the end with Sabu getting a run of big moves but selling that he can't capitalize quickly to make the cover. Very good match.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-04-19-ECW-Plymouth Meeting, PA] Sabu vs 2 Cold Scorpio
  • 1 year later...

Trading spots in a fun match.  It started out great with high intensity.  I agree, it lost momentum as it went on.  I like this one better than the previous as well, but I prefer the Mikey/Sabu match that happened shortly prior to this one to either.  I felt like it had more of a story within the match.