Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-04-07-JWP-Light Up Night] Dynamite Kansai & Takako Inoue vs Mayumi Ozaki & Kyoko Inoue

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

By far, the best Joshi match on the set so far. I wonder if that's because it's the first JWP match. Even though Kyoko Inoue has appeared in both promotions, there does seem to be a style difference, plus there was no Toyota to mess things up. Plus, they sold the finish like it mattered. This was tremendous, in the upper echelon of the matches on the set so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciated the sense of rivalry and emotion between the teams, but this suffered from a lot of the problems that plague joshi in general. Despite having an obvious asskicker in Kansai, they didn't do much to establish differentiated roles early in the match. They robbed cool moments of meaning by always racing on to the next thing. The finishing stretch went about five brutal suplexes too long. There were a few sequences I really liked, but I doubt this will be one of my 100 favorite matches by the time we get to the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This was watchable enough but had numerous problems. It went too long and had a dead crowd. I don't get why they had Kyoko here. She wasn't feuding with either of the opponents and her vs Takako in the ring was particularly uninspiring. The main storyline was setting up Oz vs Takako in singles, which they did a good job of. Their exchanges were the best parts. I totally agree about the overkill down the stretch. Kicking out of finishers had started to become the norm, and was indicative of the Joshi style evolving in the wrong direction.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Takako, Ozaki, Kansai...so much raging bitch in one match. 'Course, Kyoko pretty much breaks the pattern, but oh well. This had a few hot stretches but was another joshi match that was too long and too clever by half. All the kickouts and saves got to be eye-rolling rather than taking me (and the crowd) to a fever pitch--it sort of made Kansai & Takako look stupid for not even trying to accomodate for Kyoko while they were killing Oz. The Splash Mountain/Takako Panic really should have been the finish. Instead they top it with *another* sick double-team, and Kyoko saves off THAT, and Ozaki rather anticlimactically goes down to a simple chop instead, though she was already pretty much doomed.

Takako presents Ozaki with a pair of wrestling boots after the match, in what is undoubtedly the finest Hulk Hogan-Evad Sullivan tribute angle in the entire history of joshi.

• 1 month later...

COuld someone provide some context to the parajas incredibles type pairings here from what I am familiar with?

Anyway, Really good match and I always like seeing Kansai and Oz mix it up. They provide a lot of hatred here and the Double Inoues are good background characters to keep the energy level up. Joshi in 1996 has yet to have that one classic yet, but this was a great match and I anticipate more in this vein. ****

• 2 years later...

There was a point in the match I was thinking it was pretty great, everyone was looking really good, and it was definitely the best Joshi match of the year so far. A little bit later I was even thinking, even though this match is getting on in length, it wasn't getting tiresome yet. Then they kept going, and then they kept going, and then they kept going! And by the end I was tapped out. There was plenty of cool stuff in this match, and a much shorter version would have been great. But like most Joshi this year, I was actively thankful to see it end.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-04-07-JWP-Light Up Night] Dynamite Kansai & Takako Inoue vs Mayumi Ozaki & Kyoko Inoue