Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-04-29-NJPW-Battle Formation] Jushin Liger vs Great Sasuke

Loss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Cringe-worthy moment of the year: Liger attempts to do the Jumbo Tsuruta drop-the-guy's-knee-on-the-guardrail spot, misses, and instead drops Sasuke's groin on it. Yeeowch.

Yeah, this match-up is actually less interesting the more Sasuke is portrayed as an equal, as opposed to an underdog. Sasuke isn't as compelling working holds from the top as from the bottom, and then he blows off the cool legwork. Liger mostly holds this together, but at one point he drops Sasuke from the turnbuckle, levels him with a knee off the top that looks to knock him out, signals that he's going to drop Sasuke on his head again to put him away, and...puts on a crossface chicken wing. REALLY curious move there from one of the smarter workers around--were they seriously expecting people to buy that as a potential ending? Liger is no Mr. Backlund--he uses that hold as a matwork opener, not a finish. There was still good stuff here and the Sasuke victory took me by surprise, but the Super J-Cup match between these two is the one you want.

• 1 month later...

Agree that this isn't as good as the 94 stuff, but I still thought it was a really good match with some interesting intricate mat work and some insane dives to the floor. I guess the dome crowd being less than enthused doesn't have as much bearing on me. Felt like a big win too at the finish. ***1/2

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-04-29-NJPW-Battle Formation] Jushin Liger vs Great Sasuke