Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-05-27-WCW-Nitro] Sting vs Scott Steiner

Loss

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hall only mentioned Savage & Sting, who were the two main babyfaces on the show at this point. Luger was a tweener. Giant and Flair were the top heels. Hogan was on vacation. So it only made sense that Hall mentioned only Sting & Savage.

This match didn't do much for me. It was just kinda there. Steiner threw out a bunch of cool shit, but he didnt string it together in an entertaining fashion. I hate when people just give up on submissions like Steiner did with the STF and Cross-Armbreaker. Sting was pretty decent. Solid match, but ultimately forgettable.

What surprised me was how not bad Bischoff was on commentary. He was really putting over the current storyline between the two teams and getting over the athleticism and sporting contest of wrestling. He was easily way better than the horrid commentary provided on the current product.

• 8 months later...

Not a good match. Scott Steiner in single at this point just doens't know what the hell to do.

The Hall promo was again perfect. Gotta love the "Who do you mean "we" ?" from Bischoff. And the fact Hall says "Let's do it in the ring, where it matters". Yep, it was no "shooty-shooty" angle, it was about the wrestling. It was old-school. Just perfect. I get chills watching this stuff back.

• 1 year later...

I liked this okay--in fact, if not for a lack of heat and atmosphere I daresay I'd rank this up there with their more fabled match at SuperBrawl. Luger and Rick Steiner get involved and this breaks down, as they still seem to be clinging to the ambiguous-alliance storyline with Lex, before bigger things would throw all this out the window.

Afterward Scott Hall shows up again at the announcer's desk in a segment I don't remember, and he makes the challenge for WCW to provide 3 top guys. Hall doesn't want this war to be carried out in the newspapers and dirtsheets, which is a great form of shoot-type line. Scott refers to "we"--intrigue already! Bischoff and Heenan are too stunned to even properly sign off.

• 1 month later...

Pretty good face vs. face match with some athletic spots. I think Sting has been on a consistently good run here having fun matches with a variety of opponents. This was starting to get good when it broke down with Steiner and Luger mixing in. I think Rick was in the wrong here which is not a surprise. **

Hall's promo at the end is great with him calling out Sting and Savage and Bischoff being so gobsmacked that he can't even do a good send off from the air.

• 2 years later...

Damn Scott looks ridiculous here. The match is pretty fun; nice power match and they really throw out the moves. Screwy finish leading to another Hall angle. It's good stuff, really intriguing, and still selling the WWF invasion idea hard. Leaves a lot more questions than answers, which is a good thing here.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-05-27-WCW-Nitro] Sting vs Scott Steiner