Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-06-10-WWF-Raw] Ultimate Warrior and Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty famous segment from Warrior's comeback. Warrior wears a baseball cap for the first time in his life and Lawler presents him with an INCREDIBLE drawing of himself. Warrior isn't very gracious about the gift, so Lawler breaks it over his head.

I also have to mention the awesomely cheesy King of the Ring video before this match starts with Lawler in hell being beat up by Elvis.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Fun commercial with Jerry Lawler being tormented in Hell by Elvis, Kong, Don, and various other Kings.

Vince is in the ring with Lawler, thus giving us a rare WWF interview segment where we're spared anyone talking over it. Lawler, in the spirit of peace after costing Warrior a KOTR berth, offers a comic book-inspired portrait of the Warrior. Well done, Jerry. Warrior rebuts, and I'll grudgingly credit him for updating his manner of speaking 6 years after his peak, giving a bit of lip service to the mystical hoohah but concentrating mostly on talking about kicking ass. Lawler shatters the glass portrait on his head but Warrior no-sells.

• 1 month later...

Lawler is excellent here, and really carries the whole thing (including in the funny KotR vignette). Warrior with a cap really doesn't work, he really looks like he's only out there to shill his merchandising. I wonder why Warrior was paired with Lawler too, it's like he never really got thrown back into the mix. Lawler should have been given more angles and interview time back in those days.

• 4 weeks later...

This feud is ok but I couldn't help but feel that the stuff on WCW felt so much more exciting and cutting edge compared to this. Warrior vs. Lawler at this point didn't seem like a feud that many were clamoring for. KOTR being King's PPV at times was also an odd choice.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-06-10-WWF-Raw] Ultimate Warrior and Jerry Lawler