Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-06-12-NJPW-Best of the Super Juniors] Jushin Liger vs Black Tiger

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

I get to see Liger lose a match and Eddy have a moment in one fell swoop. This is a bit in the afterglow of Benoit/Eddy the night before, but it's still an excellent match, and to this point, probably the biggest moment of Eddy's career. Liger sells the finish for a long time afterward and gives him a tremendous match to get him over. My comments are all about the booking because that's what my favorite thing about this is, but the wrestling is pretty great too.

• 3 years later...

Okay so they produced the type of match they wanted. As the final it had all the trimmings. Yet this was the same formulaic stuff they'd been churning out for years by this point. The Junior style had become so stale and tiresome. Ohtani was performing much better than everyone else in the division at this point because he was adding psychology and a storyline to his matches.

Eddy was technically well suited to wrestling in Japan, but wearing the mask detracted from his charisma. I'd much rather watch him in the US, or Mexico in his early career. It was pointless having the Black Tiger gimmick anyway when there was no longer a Tiger Mask in NJ.

• 11 months later...

Now this is more like it. This was a tremendous comeback story for Eddy, who gets used and abused for most of this but finds a way to come back and win, even getting out of the la majistral that Liger put Samurai away with, as well as most of his other finishers. I don't know if this *quite* has enough juice to finish in the top 15 MOTYs, but it would in a weaker year, at least.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

1996 is a great year for NJ juniors. Started off with solid but not really exceptional matwork, but man did it take off once they kicked the match up a gear. They just had really great chemistry and the match-up felt fresh and interesting. Awesome ending with Eddy hitting his super brainbuster after having teased it, coming off of Liger unloading offense and it feeling like he was going to go down at any moment.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-06-12-NJPW-Best of the Super Juniors] Jushin Liger vs Black Tiger