Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-06-16-WCW-Great American Bash] Sting vs Steven Regal

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

So I remember how I used to love this match, and it's definitely not bad, but it's one I maybe wish I hadn't lobbied for to go on this set. It doesn't hold up as well I thought it did, even though Regal does some really neat stuff, as always. It is cool to see Regal given time to shine against a top guy.

• 3 weeks later...

And don't forget the best part, "Sunshine".

On rewatch, nope, this is not even a good match. Sting's performance is lazy as hell here, it's like a prolongued bad Savage match in which Sting gets stretched for ever then no-sells a backhand slap and beats Regal with two moves. Highly underwhelming.

• 3 years later...

Sting really was in need of a long break at this point of his career. His in ring work had declined significantly. Here the Stinger was mainly on the receiving end. That can't be too much fun with Regal stretching and pounding you, so I give him credit for toughness. The Englishman did all the work and made it into a fairly decent encounter. Regal himself would be going downhill in the none too distant future.

• 7 months later...

This has to be a first-a Regal match that I like a lot more than the rest of PWO. In fact, I thought it was a borderline MOTYC. I didn't think it dragged all. I thought it was paced perfectly, with Regal controlling most of the way and Sting having periodic flurries only to get repeatedly cut off. And Sting's comeback wasn't out of the blue. It came after Regal slapped him. Not only was it a callback to Regal slapping him at the beginning of the feud, it's as good a reason as any to unload a can of whoop-ass on a guy. In the immortal words of Charlie Murphy, you don't slap a man.

• 4 months later...

I daresay this smoked Dean vs. Rey--in fact, this made me really want to see Regal vs. Rey and Sting vs. Malenko, since Regal combined Dean's mat skills and arm work with a much stronger character more willing to engage the crowd, and Sting's charisma could have carried Dean's drier work. I though this was absolutely terrific, with Sting making Regal look like a killer for most of this as he was willing to get all kinds of tied up in knots. I guess the comeback and win came a *little* quickly, but the way Sting went for the scorpion almost came off as a desperation move to end things quickly that happened to work, rather than an arbitrarily pre-planned finish.

• 2 months later...

I daresay this smoked Dean vs. Rey--in fact, this made me really want to see Regal vs. Rey and Sting vs. Malenko, since Regal combined Dean's mat skills and arm work with a much stronger character more willing to engage the crowd, and Sting's charisma could have carried Dean's drier work. I though this was absolutely terrific, with Sting making Regal look like a killer for most of this as he was willing to get all kinds of tied up in knots. I guess the comeback and win came a *little* quickly, but the way Sting went for the scorpion almost came off as a desperation move to end things quickly that happened to work, rather than an arbitrarily pre-planned finish.

WOW! That's a ballsy statement. I disagree with you because I think Malenko worked one of the all-time great heat segments, Mysterio killed it in his debut and it melded into a great championship match. This was a match that was far less ambitious, Sting was in a holding pattern until the NWO and this was a way to give the rub to Regal while putting Sting over. I don't want to use the word "exhibition" because it did feel like a struggle, but this was clearly a showcase for Regal. I actually really liked your analysis of finish and did not think of it that way. Definitely some cool insight.

Regal vs Mysterio in WCW with time (I think they had a match on Nitro in 1997 during Mysterio/Iaukea feud) would have been so bitchin!

Sting vs Lord Steven Regal - WCW Great American Bash 1996

One of those mildly hyped WCW matches that I have never had a chance to see, until now. I am a pretty big Regal fan because he reminds me of someone like a Valentine or a Vader that will force an opponent out of their comfort zone, but still adapt to the opponent. It is a rare talent and one not too often discussed. A little background on why Regal was getting a crack at the top when he was usually relegated to great mid-card actin. This is the PPV before Bash at the Beach and thus the entire company is in a holding pattern until the New World Order is formed. Sting needed a win and a match with Regal could serve to enhance Regal's star power. After the NWO, there did not seem to be plans for Regal and of course Regal was also battling personal demons. The set up was pretty simple as Regal showed Sting the back of his hand and Sting took offense. Tony mentions during the course of this bout that Sting's dark hair look is recent. I always prefered bleach blond and spiky, but it was a good way to freshen up Sting.

Sting actually showed some really good fire early, which has always been my problem with him. Yes, he has a ton of energy to spare, but rarely is it channeled into violence. Regal is able to come back with some technical wristlocks to subdue Sting, but Sting's energy and strength allow him to power out. Regal resets the match asking for a handshake and his facial expressions during this is priceless. Sting thrusts his Little Stinger in Lord Steven's direction. Tony calls that an Elvis move. Dusty says that is not an Elvis move that was a pelvis move! Too funny. We hit the test of strength and Sting maybe stronger, but Regal knows those little tricks that allow him to apply a cobra clutch. From there, it is all Regal and that is goal of this match to showcase Regal as a credible opponent for WCW's main eventers through his holds, vicious strikes and his cocky attitude. His little strut, which was supposed to mock Sting just struck me as a weird than as annoying or entertaining, a rare bit of character acting that Regal misfired on. Regal takes a good 80-90% of this match and wrestles a solid heat segment with vicious palm strikes to the head and interesting arm holds, but I think overall Malenko smoked him on this night. Sting's hope spots were well-timed and Regal had nice underhanded counters like an eyepoke for them. I actually kinda liked Sting powering up while in a knucklelock and Regal's selling was spot on. Sting hits his sugar high and explodes with clotheslines, but that is just a hope spot and we get a sweet butterfly suplex. The part of the match is that pisses me off more than anything else happens right here. Regal applies his Regal Stretch and then just gives it up. I can't stand when wrestlers just give up on submissions and YOUR BEST SUBMISSION that is ridiculous. The setup for the finish is great that Regal is mauling Sting in the corner and Sting won't go down so he shows him the back of the hand just like at the start of this angle and Sting wakes the fuck up for that. Sting hits some really great monster punches. Sting eats knees on the Stinger Splash, but quickly applies the Scorpion Deathlock to get out of Baltimore with the victory.

Regal looked great in this match just by being able to hang with Sting. Sting had some real flashes of violence and intensity as opposed to his more FUN energy. I thought that was a very good match, but I don't they ever really flirted with great. Regal gets to show his stuff, Sting kicks a bit of ass, but needs the flash submission to defeat Regal and build momentum towards the clash with the Outsiders. Very good match to build Regal up, but sadly nothing ever came from it. ***1/2

• 3 weeks later...

This was a sweet match. Sting has looked pretty damn good in ring in 1996 based on what we have seen and he delivers a good performance here. Regal is just a menace and a supreme dick throughout the match and it is a real shame that he didn't do a whole lot as a result of this. I think a bruising Regal still being a heel but going against the NWO would have been a great angle in the fall for the company overall. I would recommend seek out this match. ***3/4

• 2 years later...

The opening is really awesome with Sting opening with a hot run of offense and Regal fighting back with some beautiful strikes. Regal then takes control for almost the whole rest of the match, and it does lose some steam although Regal is always someone who can keep it entertaining while beating on a guy. Sting's final comeback pounding Regal to the mat from the corner was cool. This was a good match, though I wouldn't go much further than that in praise. Did make Regal look good.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-06-16-WCW-Great American Bash] Sting vs Steven Regal