Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-07-01-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels vs Marty Jannetty

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

Marty Jannetty was waaaaaaay too good to have the career he had. These two are always a good match for each other, and this is no exception. Probably my second favorite match they've had against each other. I love all the familiarity spots and because they wrestle such a similar style, you don't see them having to call spots very often. Nice match.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Marty Jannetty was waaaaaaay too good to have the career he had.

Agreed. Here we are in 96, and Jannetty has another terrific TV match. INteresting that he looks better than Shawn on offense too. Nice to see him work at the level he should always work.

• 2 months later...

This was needed for Shawn's reign as he has had the PPV performances this year but we havent seen him put in a great one for tv yet. That ends here and he again is emerging as a WOTY candidate as besides Beware of Dog, he hasn't disappointed me in anything that has made the yearbook. Marty for his part was really good here and I also like Leif on the outside cheering him on. Marty cutting him off with the clothesline throughout the match was done well and showed Marty had some familiarity with Shawn he could use. Fun stuff all around. ***1/4

• 1 year later...

Great TV match. I loved that Vince played up their past & familiarity on commentary. The week before there's a really good video on the background of this match with Vince narrating the history of Shawn & Marty. Marty looked really good in this. What a talent that never made it above the mid-card. I agree that it made sense for him to be able to cut off Shawn. They were tag partners for years. Shawn has mastered a great comeback in the final stretch of his matches by this point. His win felt earned. I dig that he uses a combo of moves ending in the superkick. It makes the superkick a little bit more believable as a finish instead of just a stand alone. Post-match is a blast with Shawn avoiding a Leif Cassidy beat down & Jose Lothario clocking Cornette to a big pop. Lawler made me laugh when he was talking about Sable & Marlena in a casting call/couch during Shawn's celebration :lol:

• 6 months later...

Very good match. WWF has had some good TV matches this year and Shawn really is looking good. Jannetty is really good in this match but it does feel weird for the world champion to be having such a competitive match against a guy who feels so much lower on the hierarchy. Long, competitive, pretty work-ratey match with some cool spots. Jannetty's flip off the monkey flip into the clothesline was a great spot. Good decisive finish to make Shawn look strong. Post-match, Jose actually does something!

• GSR changed the title to [1996-07-01-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels vs Marty Jannetty