Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-07-07-WCW-Bash at the Beach] Dean Malenko vs Disco Inferno

Loss

• 1 month later...

Not really a great match, but I really like this for Disco Inferno looking more like a pro wrestler than I think he ever has, and the announcers pushing the serious side of him at the booth. The momentum shifts are really good here, because Dean just dominates the early minutes before Dean gets in a shot, and then he shows some surprising aggression. It feels like the start of a "serious wrestler" push, which WCW had done for Badd at one point a few years earlier, but I guess they forgot to follow up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

This was really good and dare I say it, did more to get Malenko over than the Rey match the previous month. It's not as overall good as that match, but this made for a really fun story based around the huge contrast in personalities, with Dean being outright insulted at having to share the ring with this goof and showing his aggression as a result. Disco does some great bumping and selling while Dean is beating the shit out of him and times his hope spots well. Maybe the high watermark for Disco's in-ring career.

• 3 months later...

I had no recollection of this but it was a good match and a nice showcase for both Disco and Dean. They went out and had a 12 minute serious match that more importantly was pushed as such by the announcers. I think the Disco Inferno character could have worked well in this type of environment even with his gimmick. ***

• 4 months later...

Disco Inferno's commitment to the gimmick is so impressive. This match is right up my alley. I love when a lower card match comes out of nowhere to be important within its own structure. all I really care about in wrestling is guys working hard and telling a story with a match, and this just happens to be with one of the more ridicoulous characters of the era.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-07-07-WCW-Bash at the Beach] Dean Malenko vs Disco Inferno
  • 2 years later...