Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-07-08-WCW-Nitro] Sting vs Arn Anderson / Interview: Sting & Randy Savage

Loss

• 1 month later...

Joined in progress. Hall and Nash show up in a limo at ringside, as they're taping outside at Disney MGM. Sting and Arn (and Savage) stop the match to try to face them off, then Arn ambushes Sting, but Sting picks up the win anyway.

Post-match, Sting does an INCREDIBLE promo. Seriously. For a guy who has a rep of not being a great interview, this was really, really good.

Savage talks too, and it's not as good as Sting, but it's still fun, loony Savage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Pretty good match too, and yep, it felt like a old-school WCW Saturday Night match from the early 90's. Gotta love how both Sting and Arn immediately stop fighting to confront the Outsiders. Sting cuts a money promo, probably his best ever (up to that point at least). Amazing how everyone stepped up their game. Savage's promo is kinda goofy in comparison, but still good in an insane Savage way. He called Hulk "Hollywood" for the first time I believe. But yeah, that Sting promo "No ! You stick it Hulk ! You stick it !"

• 1 year later...

Great chaotic scene as the Outsiders emerge from a limo and try to confront Sting and Arn, who put their match on hold to stand guard. But Arn is still Arn and attempts to cheap-shot Sting during the confrontation, but Sting's ready for that. Sting cuts the promo of his life afterward, drawing on things Hulk said in the early days of Nitro as well as throwing a few quasi-shoot references to Hogan's movie and travel accommodations. Savage's promo isn't nearly as good--it's amusing in its own right but the tone is completely off as compared to Sting and the general downcast mood of Nitro the entire night.

• 3 months later...

Match looked good between these two and I loved how they both stopped to take on the Outsiders when they came down to the aisle. Even better was Arn staying true to his heel route and attacking Sting when he gets an opportunity. The promo afterwards by Sting really needs to be seen. It is fantastic and completely the right tone. Savage isn't bad and unhinged but really pales in comparison to Sting. I may be lower on Savage than most but I do think this year hasn't been the best for him overall and he gets overshadowed in too many things throughout the year.

• 2 years later...

Really good promo from Sting. I can't really remember any other particularly good Sting promos, though I can't say I've seen a bunch. Sting says he should have noticed how much of an asshole Hulk was from the beginning, in so many words, which works well in playing off the discontent most felt toward him in his first run this year. Savage's promo is entertaining in a goofy way, which still works for the scenario since it's Savage.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-07-08-WCW-Nitro] Sting vs Arn Anderson / Interview: Sting & Randy Savage