Photo

Shane Douglas vs 2 Cold Scorpio vs Chris Jericho vs Pit Bull #2 (ECW Heat Wave 07/13/96)

ECW Heat Wave July 13 1996 Title Changes Philadelphia Shane Douglas 2 Cold Scorpio Chris Jericho Pit Bull 2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43477 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

Talk about it here.

#2 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43477 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

Ugh, do I have to? I'm sorry, I can't watch this again. I just can't. This is a widely praised match, and one of the more significant ones in ECW history with the Francine/Shane Douglas tandem being formed, but I just can't. Too long, and I really despised this match the last time I watched it. Maybe someday, but not today.

#3 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hey, someone else thought this was way overrated. Glad I'm not alone. The part before Douglas vs Pitbull is utterly forgettable, and the finish is total crap due to Douglas having a weak/anticlimactic finisher.

#4 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4028 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

I think I had this in the top 5 on my ECW Ballot for Smarkschoice. The match is still good but that's thanks mostly to Scorpio and Jericho. Once they get eliminated in drops in quality before the turn. Way too overbooked.

#5 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9188 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

Well, by gum, I mostly really liked this. Not as much as the Double Dog Collar Match, but I would probably put it ahead of Scorpio/Douglas. It certainly isn't perfect--it is overlong, and overbooked, and Jericho is a weak spot with a few really horribly blown or mistimed spots. But I liked Douglas as a ratfuck heel tagging out at the first sign of trouble and manipulating everybody else, I liked his offense which was a surprise as I usually find him stiff and with way too much daylight, and I liked Scorpio. Having Francine turn heel AND immediately blowing the payoff by having her eat a Superbomb was absurd and probably a sign that Paul E.'s booking was starting to lose its fastball. And yeah, the belly-to-belly is a pretty middling finisher considering what else the promotion offers up, but at least they sold it as sort of a flash pin/roll-up type pin with Douglas cradling Pitbull up tightly. There are other marathon matches on these Yearbooks that I've liked a whole lot less than this. This is probably a top-5-worthy ECW match and one I'm glad I finally saw.

#6 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10284 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:04 AM

Not quite as high as Pete but I did like this more than the last time I watched it. The blown spots are really hilariously bad here but some of the action before it is really good. The Pitbull vs. Douglas finale is the certain bloated overblown stuff that personifies ECW main events at times. Pitbull gets turned on by Francine but fights back from that, a chain, high impact moves, and everything else before finally being put away. Francine gets powerbombed through the table to a huge pop from the ECW faithful. ***

#7 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10267 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:06 AM

And yeah, the belly-to-belly is a pretty middling finisher considering what else the promotion offers up, but at least they sold it as sort of a flash pin/roll-up type pin with Douglas cradling Pitbull up tightly. 

Nothing says "ECW" like reverence to Magnum TA.

#8 tim

tim
  • Members
  • 1450 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:36 PM

This whole this was SO ECW. As a piece of wrestling it's really something from the wrestling to the big angle at the end. All in all, I loved it. As a match is sort of peaked toward the end of the first "fall", losing a bit of steam after that until the big angle. But up to that point I thought it was really, really good as a match. Some rough patches here and there but nothing that detracted from the match I felt. Douglas worked the heel opportunist role really well, and I was wanting to see him get his comeuppance all match. Scorpio is the first one to really take it to him and it's a great moment. Some really cool spots and exchanges, especially Scorpio's kick off the Lionsault. Jericho as champion gets pinned first, sort of a Heyman booking favorite it seems. Douglas and Pitbull on paper seems like the one on one match you'd least want to see of all the combinations, but this match succeeded in making me want to see Pitbull get the chance to take it to Douglas one on one. The angle was really well done and surprising for me, and Francine going through the table vies for biggest pop of the year so far. Cool ending with Pitbull kicking out of a bunch of big moves and the crowd totally behind him before Douglas puts him away.

As the culmination of everything going on with the TV title for the last couple months this felt like a really big match, and it really felt like it elevated the TV title.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ECW, Heat Wave, July 13, 1996, Title Changes, Philadelphia, Shane Douglas, 2 Cold Scorpio, Chris Jericho, Pit Bull 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users