Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-07-15-AAA] Rey Misterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera

Loss

• 1 month later...

In terms of great wrestling followed by stupid run-ins, this match feels like a pro-shot version of the March match. There is some outstanding stuff here. In a ... surprising moment, the heels are holding Rey in a Jesus-like position with handcuffs while Juventud hits him over the head with a tree branch. Finally, Konnan comes out dressed as a monk in an American flag to make the save. Oh, pro wrestling.

Still, I wish they could have just left these two alone, as they were doing fine without all this.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

The finish was well executed but man it still pissed me off. Action before was pretty awesome but I still think I prefer the ECW match between these two for spots and violence. Rey does a great babyface comeback and has the crowd going when he wins here. ***3/4

• 2 years later...

I was thinking that this surpasses the February ECW match to be the best Rey/Juvy match of the year so far until the interference. It still might be, but the interference was totally superfluous and just letting them work the finish would have been a lot better. Less purely exhibitiony than some of their other matches, worked more competitively and even some emphasis on selling, with all their spots still looking great.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-07-15-AAA] Rey Misterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera