Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-08-02-ECW-Plymouth Meeting, PA] Chris Jericho vs Sabu

Loss

• 1 month later...

I have tried really hard to table my purist snob instincts when watching this stuff, but Sabu matches not against Scorpio have really been a chore for me. This match is not terrible, it deserved a spot on the yearbook, they both work hard, yadda yadda yadda ... but I just don't like it. I'd much rather see Sabu be reckless and just do spots than try to mat wrestle, which he does here. He doesn't do it well enough to make it worth watching. Even with the sloppiness, I can understand his appeal because he's such a daredevil, but this is really just not my thing. Indy-tastic in a year without a lot of indy-tastic stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Too long and meandering to really be good. I actually kind of appreciated the low-key opening stuff, but it takes too long for them to get going and the build is off. Sabu isn't exactly Mr. Smooth but Jericho is even looser and sloppier here, a criticism that would stick with him his entire career. The closing stretch is good and fast-paced and there were things to like in-between, but this needed to be tightened up.

• 5 months later...

Some matches hold up over time and some don't. ECW mostly doesn't and this is the biggest example in a while. Whereas the previous match had some less than stellar execution that felt like both men giving it their all. This match those sloppy spots that felt like competitors being overly ambitious. That may be a double standard but it is the way I feel and the live reaction bears that out. At the end of this match you could almost hear a sigh that it was finally over. Joey Styles yelling OH MY GOD on DDT's through the table feels so hollow. With everything else being amazing on this disc so far, this really felt out of place and drug things to a big halt. *1/2

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-08-02-ECW-Plymouth Meeting, PA] Chris Jericho vs Sabu