Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-08-17-AAA] Rey Misterio Jr & Konnan vs Juventud Guerrera & Jerry Estrada

Loss

• 1 month later...

It's interesting how the lucha on this set features far more variety in terms of the promotions and wrestlers featured than, say, all the available TV of 1989-1990 EMLL. But those matches still stand out more from the pack than these, even when they feature the same guys over and over. I'd call this a very good match, but there's absolutely nothing this match offers that you don't get in other matches on the set, whereas over in CMLL, guys like Dandy and Casas are doing something in every match they're in that makes it memorable or special in its own way. Not sure why that is. Seeing all the stuff Rey and Juventud can do when they have partners makes me think that maybe WCW would have been better serviced sticking these guys -- at least some of them -- in a tag team division and pairing them up. If anything makes this stand out, it's what Rey and Juventud can do when they have other bodies in the ring that they can use as props to set up spots. Toward the end of this, Konnan and Estrada do some nice stuff, but it takes them long enough.

• 1 month later...

Konnan coming out to California Love and being a tecnico is funny for some reason. I wouldn't call this a good match at all. Rey/Juvi and Estrada's bumping was nice but Konnan just ruins it. He might be the worst guy not only in the match but on this set. He just wrestles so awkwardly and adds nothing. How long was this before the big breakup between Konnan and Pena? Couldn't have been too long.

• 4 years later...

Man, I hate Konnan as much as anybody but I thought he was perfectly inoffensive here, and even contributed some downright good stuff. This was fun and I'm not sure I agree about there being nothing new here either--if nothing else, Juvy and Estrada gave us some pretty awesome double-teams. This may be helped by low expectations coming in but this was a very fun no-frills lucha tag without any of Konnan or Pena's booking bullshit.

• 5 months later...

Maybe the best Konnan has looked to me throughout the 1990's. He mixed in some good action here and complimented the rudo team of Juvy and Estrada well. Rey's dives looked great as well. I don't think this had anything particularly memorable but it was a very entertaining match that I was glad was sandwiched in amongst everything else worldwide. ***1/2

• 2 years later...

This was a fun match, never dragged and had some cool stuff. Konan is clearly bad, but didn't take away from the match at all. Some cool double-team doomsday device spots and the highlight of the match for me was Juventud's ridiculous exaggerated bump off a hurricanrana. Easy to watch, which hasn't been the case for all AAA this year.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-08-17-AAA] Rey Misterio Jr & Konnan vs Juventud Guerrera & Jerry Estrada
  • 4 years later...