Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-08-24-ECW-Natural Born Killaz] Rob Van Dam vs Doug Furnas

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Why did Kroffat and Furnas go to WWF anyway? That was during the start of "ATM Eric" so unless WCW had no interest at all, they would have figured to have gotten paid better, been asked to work fewer dates, and would have been used better with WCW than WWF. I assume Cornette and Ross pushed for them since this was at the height of their power, but still.

No idea, but retrospectively it made no sense the WWF would even want these guys. Kroffat & Furnas feuding with the Steiners would have been so much fun.

And I don't know why this match got so much vote in the SC ECW poll. Yeah, it's fun to see Furnas throw RVD around, but it's nothing that special. For an RVD match, it's still quite good though.

• 4 years later...

Enjoyable, but this dragged really badly when they were fighting in the crowd and there's some sloppiness down the stretch. That tombstone looked GHASTLY--like Owen Hart/Steve Austin bad, but luckily RVD seems okay. It's good to see Furnas actually put on a half-decent singles match, since Kroffat gets the bulk of the credit for their tag work and has a number of good singles bouts of his own.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I love love love this match. Even as is it's going pretty high on my MOTY list, without that brawl through the crowd where mostly nothing happened, it would probably go preposterously high. This is RVD's best match ever, and more than that this is the best RVD's ever looked as a wrestler. Here his offense doesn't come across as showy and contrived, but as violent unorthodox offense; really in this match he feels like a more athletic, precise, and better Sabu. Furnas is awesome here with his nasty power moves with some hardcore stuff incorporated very well. He could've done awesome things in the ECW setting I imagine. There's awesome spots happening every minute of this match, and the Van Daminator to finish came across as a legit devastating, opportunistic blow. I'm surprised the consensus is so low on this one.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-08-24-ECW-Natural Born Killaz] Rob Van Dam vs Doug Furnas
  • 4 weeks later...

Rob Van Dam vs Doug Furnas - ECW Natural Born Killaz 8/24/96

These two accidentally had a great match. I really dont feel like this match should have been as good as it is, but holy hell I couldnt keep my eyes off it. Word to wise if your opponent is going to piledrive you on a chair later on the match you probably should NOT crack him in the back of the head really hard with a steel chair. You are only doing yourself a disservice.

I actually really dug the beginning of the match. It was RVD's cuteness against Furnas' power. RVD fucks around with JCVD bullshit and Furnas throws him down on the mat hard. Then RVD does the JCVD split and Furnas picks him up and slams. That was a fucking nasty stun gun RVD took. Furnas absolutely BULLDOZED RVD from the apron into the crowd. Holy shit! They kinda lose this storyline once the crowd brawling starts. The crowd brawling is the weakest portion of this match. The transitions not surprisingly are terrible. RVD all of sudden musters up the power to suplex Furnas from the ring into the apron which was nasty. Then Furnas is suplexing the hell out of RVD. Then match just becomes insane. Both men take absolutely crazy unprotected chair shots to the head. RVD really cracks the back of Furnas head. He gives him the chair to do a prop spot and Furnas is like fuck that and throws the chair away. RVD still does the crossbody anyways. Then Furnas catches RVD awkwardly and basically hits an INVERTED GANSO BOMB ON A STEEL CHAIR! I lost my shit. That was insane. Then Furnas smashes RVD skull with a chair. Then we get the setup for the Best Van Daminator ever. The ref realizes that he should you know do something to protect RVD and gets in Furnas' way. Furnas shoves him away and puts the chair up to hit RVD, but RVD quickly kicks the chair into Furnas' fucking face! 1-2-3! Great finish! I am glad this style of wrestling is mostly dead because it is incredibly dangerous, but wow you cant help but love this trainwreck. It makes so sense but every spot is insane. Really damn good spotfest. One of the best RVD matches ever! ****