Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-08-31-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Steve Austin

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Austin pays lip service to his Intercontinental Title tournament bout with Marc Mero, and then moves onto the meat of this promo: a challenge to Bret Hart. He even throws threats toward Brian Pillman for having the audacity to cut him off. Austin is immediately head and shoulders above almost everyone else in the company as a promo, it's no wonder he turned into a babyface. Even Pillman, who spent the entire first half of the year trying to be above it all and too cool for school, looks weak and ineffective by comparison.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

"Loose Cannon" Brian Pillman is a bizarre choice for an interviewer. Great, straight to the point promo by Austin. He's really gathering steam as an overall performer & presence in WWF at this point. He makes the big challenge to Bret Hart, claims he's the best there is, was, & ever will be, & takes a shot at Bret's pink & black attire. I also liked that he threatened to whip Pillman's ass too after being cut off teasing that feud as well. The Bret-Austin feud is underway.

• 6 months later...

When Austin challenges Bret I really had a "hell yeah, this is the feud I want to see right now" moment. This program just seems so cool right now. Bret returning and taking on Austin who is on a huge upswing and really is starting to feel like a mega star. So much charisma and a really compelling personality.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-08-31-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Steve Austin