Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-09-15-WCW-Fall Brawl] Randy Savage vs The Giant

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Straight babyface Savage formula match. Savage plays King of the Mountain early, but attempts to slam The Giant on the floor. Nothing doing. The Giant is a lot better about getting his offense over now, but still this is pretty good and is helped that Savage is one the best face in perils ever in wrestling. The Giant hurts his knee on a missed knee drop. Nowadays, the babyface would just take over and stop selling. Transitions are so important to me and even simple ones like that mean so much in developing a solid, fundamental match. Savage SLAMS The Giant! nWo goad him to the outside. Nick Patrick, The Evil Ref, checks the Giant for a concussion after the flying elbow, good stuff. Savage rolled back in for the loss.

At first, I thought it was a stupid finish and they should build Savage for his title match with Hogan at Havoc, but then I realize the first loss for the nWo should be much more important than that. It is Randy Freakin Savagel he is plenty built up just by his name plus he was super protected. So the stupid cynical smart mark in me can sit the fuck down.

Solid match.

• 9 months later...

Solid babyace Savage match here, and the best single match the Giant has up until that point. Just basic storytelling that works thanks to Savage's selling and bumping. The nWo attack outside puts the heat on Savage vs Hogan for Fall Brawl. Good stuff, although Giant still looks like the odd one in the nWo, very clearly. Nick Patrick hasn't made his coming out, but he's obviously crooked. Good stuff.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-09-15-WCW-Fall Brawl] Randy Savage vs The Giant
  • 3 years later...
On 6/8/2013 at 1:04 AM, Superstar Sleeze said:

I realize the first loss for the nWo should be much more important than that. It is Randy Freakin Savagel he is plenty built up just by his name plus he was super protected.

Solid match.

Exactly, he slammed the Giant and got the elbow, which meant it was canonically finished, and then it took all three of the other guys (and a HUGE chair shot) to finish him. There were a lot of bad booking decisions in the future, but this was not one.

Definitely agree this was solid to great, very nicely structured, lots of hard work from both guys, and the crowd is very excited for the whole thing. It seems like Wight is excited to be doing big stuff with Savage, which is endearing. This is better than e.g. Benoit/Jericho from earlier in the night, despite conventional wisdom saying otherwise for 10 to 20 years.