Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-09-16-WCW-Nitro] Syxx joins the NWO

Loss

• 1 month later...

Syxx gets out of a limo with the NWO. They play the tape from the previous week of Sting talking and laugh about it. This was when there were starting to be warning signs of NWO overexposure and adding too many people to the group, I think, even though they would still ride the wave for a long time.

Yeah. Things really degenerated at the end of the year, leading to Sold Out where it came apparent that the nWo had plenty of non-stars, JTTS wrestlers in it. It would only get worse later of course. Syxx was the logical addition to the "band". And Waltman was excellent in the role.

Yeah, I thought Syxx was a good addition, as was DiBiase. I started to sour on the NWO when they added random WCW guys. I liked the idea of a stable made entirely of ex-WWF guys. It's kind of like when Austin and Angle joined the WCW Invasion. It just gets away from the point of the whole thing.

The downfall was when Bischoff became part of the group and they kept adding guys with the idea that, at some point, the nWo would form its own promotion. The truth is, nWo was only going to work as a faction, not its own promotion.

The first Souled Out should have told them that, but then later in the year, they did their test run of nWo Nitro and that was one of many costly moves WCW made that allowed WWF to close the gap in the Monday Night Wars.

Those guys worked as a swarm of cannon fodder. Especially once the Giant left. Giant was so over I could not buy the four of them beating him. I thought guys like Norton helped as just muscle and it did benefit Bagwell long term. Bubba and Rotunda were the really bad fits and it seems WCW recognized that.

The downfall was when Bischoff became part of the group and they kept adding guys with the idea that, at some point, the nWo would form its own promotion. The truth is, nWo was only going to work as a faction, not its own promotion.

The first Souled Out should have told them that, but then later in the year, they did their test run of nWo Nitro and that was one of many costly moves WCW made that allowed WWF to close the gap in the Monday Night Wars.

I think I knew that at the time, because all these guys were allies. Did they realize that if they formed their own promotion, they'd have to start facing each other?

Those guys worked as a swarm of cannon fodder. Especially once the Giant left. Giant was so over I could not buy the four of them beating him. I thought guys like Norton helped as just muscle and it did benefit Bagwell long term. Bubba and Rotunda were the really bad fits and it seems WCW recognized that.

Bubba was ridiculously misused in WCW at this point, but he didn't fit the nWo. Rotunda was done. Yeah Bagwell and Nirton fit the mold, and it did wonders for Bagwell. Vincent was more than useless, I can't believe they actually paid this guy. And then in 98 you had Brian Adams, Horace Hogan, Stevie Ray... Guys like Henning or Scott Steiner didn't need the nWo to be strong heels.

• 3 years later...

Initially, they added so many people because they had plans of giving the NWO their own television show and needed additional guys to fill out the group so they had more potential matches. But yes, I agree with you. That was an overreach at best and they should have run an angle after Souled Out bombed to kick out all of the dead weight.

• 11 months later...

An unnamed former WWF wrestler had appeared earlier in the crowd disingenuously showing disappointment over WCW's WarGames loss, before pressing a button that dropped pro-NWO fliers all over the crowd. Now he's celebrating with the NWO in the parking lot. As they signed off, they'd reveal his new name as Syxx. Here, Giant plays a tape of Sting's rant that was played from the limo the previous week.

I don't think the Giant was ever really a good fit for the NWO at all, but they promised a 5th member before having either Davey Boy or Waltman signed, sealed, and delivered, so they were desperate to do something. It did allow him to show off some more of his natural comedic personality, at least, instead of being BIG GROWLY MEAN WRESTLER. Still, it wasn't that much of a shock that he was also the first guy to get drummed out, and the awkwardness surrounding his turn and his ill fit with the group actually enhanced his split, by accident.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-09-16-WCW-Nitro] Syxx joins the NWO