Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-09-23-WWF-Raw] Interview: Jim Ross

Loss

• 1 month later...

This will live in infamy. Jim Ross fake shoots on the WWF, saying he has no loyalty to the WWF and talking about the great job he left in Atlanta in 1993, talking about everyone leaving the WWF not being an accident, which I suspect the crowd only popped for because they thought it meant he was joining the NWO. He does cut a good promo, but the angle is awful of course, bringing out the fake Razor Ramon at the end. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? How could they possibly think this represented him in a good light? Is this the all time low point for the company?

I know it was stupid, but as a promo it's awesome. Like I said, I would have loved a full fledge Ross heel turn. But yeah, it was an awesome pro-nWo promo, with the cherry on the cake being the fake-Razor. To watch the real thing, change the channel, that's where the Big Boys Play.

If they were really smart, they would have done it where Jim Ross says, "I have brought back Razor Ramon," and then when Rick Bogner comes out as the fake Razor, Vince McMahon confronts Ross about it, declaring it's not really Razor, and then Jim saying he just does what Vince always does: Put a gimmick on somebody and there it is.

In other words, it needed to be about Jim Ross mocking Vince McMahon's propensity for putting a gimmick on a guy to make it his property, not like it really was Razor coming back.

Of course, there was the whole lawsuit with WCW at the time and supposedly Vince was trying to prove the gimmick still had value to the company. Meaning the last thing Vince thought about was doing something clever with the angle.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Andrews

In other words, it needed to be about Jim Ross mocking Vince McMahon's propensity for putting a gimmick on a guy to make it his property, not like it really was Razor coming back.

If this happened, 10 year old me would have thought it was cack, and stopped watching wrestling...

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

He really changed his character from the cheerful football obsessed PBP guy of the early 90's into a bitter and spiteful announcer, angry at how badly he'd been treated by McMahon.

It was the best segue into how he became the voice of the company, because it unwittingly put WWE in the position of suddenly having a three-man team with JR, Lawler and Vince. And once Montreal happened, Vince could never go back to the broadcast booth.

• 10 months later...

JR's promo is tremendous, but as would happen in 1999 it only serves to babyface him further because--hell, what's he wrong about? Then Rick Bogner comes out doing a truly terrible Razor Ramon act, and from here they never really seem to want to pull the trigger of aligning Ross as a manager for the two impostors. So we have a dumb idea that's also badly executed.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Awful angle, but JR's promo is amazing. It's scathing & likely 100% true. The fans eat it up & cheer him for it. They could never get the fans to hate JR. I loved the moment where the fans initially popped for the Fake Razor, but then a hushed silence fell over the crowd once they recognized the guy was a complete fake. Fake Razor gets attacked by Savio Vega to close the show. Really terrible storyline to be doing in competition with Nitro even if I love Ross in this.

• 8 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-09-23-WWF-Raw] Interview: Jim Ross