Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-10-19-Michinoku Pro] Dick Togo & Mens Teoh & Shiryu vs Great Sasuke & Gran Hamada & Masato Yakushiji

Loss

• 1 month later...

Terry Boy's makeshift suit outfit that he wears on the way to the ring is outstanding! Togo and Sasuke brawl outside the ring in a small gym, which is a little different from the normal style. They do some other things that pleasantly surprise me too, like MX-style double team moves and cutting off a Yakushiji hot tag. Yakushiji is king-sized in this by the way in terms of taking a beating. This isn't as good as These Days, but it's grittier and has more stuff outside the norm. I wonder how this would serve as an intro to the style, as there are American staples mixed in with the highspots, then you could move on to the better matches that are more representative of the style.

• 3 years later...

Was Yakushiji the long lost brother of Kaoru Ito?

This was a reality check after 10/10. Much humbler surroundings with the crowd sat on gym mats. More your typical quality main event you'd get at the time also. There was a longer heel beatdown phase in this one. It was nothing standout, but there was some decent stuff here.

• 5 months later...

More of the same from the M-Pro crew. Watching them today they come across as indie rock legends as though they were at the forefront of a new style of work. I didn't care for Sasuke and Togo brawling around the gymnasium, but it was soon forgotten as the rest of the crew worked some cracking exchanges. Hamada was more involved here than in other bouts, and this was another stiffer 6-man compared to their more famous multi-man spotfests. I really liked the mural in the background too on what looked like the curtain for a stage. The only negative I'll say is I don't know why the faces couldn't have won more of these bouts. This was a bout they could have totally taken out and Kaientai wouldn't have suffered at all. It's not big a deal, but I felt the momentum was with the faces here and the pop for them scoring the pin would have been nice.

• 5 months later...

Pretty good match but one of the lesser MPro 6-mans. The Togo/Sasuke brawl was a different wrinkle, and I liked Togo not being able to knock Sasuke through the first set of doors, so he drags him over to another set elsewhere in the arena and throws him through those instead.

• 2 years later...

I liked this match but yeah it is tough not to compare it to the atmosphere and action of These Days with how close in proximity it occurred. Togo was the star here for me and really was the beefy bruiser for KDX that worked especially against Yakushiji. I thought this was kind of a reserved Sasuke performance. Dick Togo sentons always make me mark out. ***1/4

• 8 months later...

Nothing exceptional among the large number of really good MPro tags, but this is a still a really good MPro tag. Very fun match, never gets dull, just classic MPro style that's great to watch. I always especially enjoy MPro matches in their Northern stomping grounds, great atmosphere and a lot of energy.

• 1 month later...

Kaientai (Dick Togo, Mens Teioh, Shiryu) vs Great Sasuke, Gran Hamada & Masato Yakaushiji - Michinoku Pro 10/19/96

A week after their big These Days show, the M-Pro boys are back in Northeast Japan in a small gymnasium tearing it up like only they do. I have never heard of Yakaushiji he is a young, skinny dude dressed up like the Red Power Ranger. This is original Kaientai. Very solid M-Pro match as I am beginning to learn the trademarks of the style and I finally think I am ready to watch the These Days match. I liked Kaientai coming in and triple teaming early and then all flexing. Good crowd brawling. From the handicap match against Sasuke & Delphin, it seems Kaientai was into eliminating Sasuke and letting his partners fend for themselves. Here Dick Togo throws Sasuke through a door and Sasuke never really recovers. Yakaushiji is a total tackling dummy but he has his moments. Hamada gets spike piledrivered trying to save him. Sasuke tries his best but is never really able to sustain offense. I really liked the second heat segment on the Red Power Ranger. They do some false tags. The Kaientai Pose. Some great offense. I am annoyed that Hamada just came into the match and took over. I know it is Lucha rules, but Yakaushiji never left the ring. Again Sasuke looks to build momentum but gets cut off. Sasuke & Dick Togo do the worst monkey flip known to man in this match. I don't know who is more at fault. Men's Teioh is a damn good wrestler. Good heel and great execution. Dick Togo throws a great German on the Red Power Ranger, who is a great tackling dummy. Red Power Ranger gets a suicide dive and Sasuke gets his swanton bomb to the outside. Hamada gets a top rope Frankensteiner inside but Mens Teioh saves. Teioh drops Sasuke on his injured head a couple times to good heat. Sasuke armdrags out of a chokeslam and quebrada gets two. Crucifix powerbomb! 1-2-no! Shiryu saves. Shiryu gets his Fisherman Buster. Mens Teioh punches Shiryu and Sasuke hits a back handspring elbow.

YAKAUSHIJI HITS A MISSILE DROPKICK! TOP ROPE HURRICANARANA! CAN THE KID DO IT? 1-2-NO! Pop-up Powerbomb. The Kid is dead. LOOK OUT BELOW! SENTON! 1-2-3! Kaientia wins again!

Really liked the ending with Yakaushiji & Dick Togo. The rest there were moment of greatness but they did not connect them, still an entertaining match. ***1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1996-10-19-Michinoku Pro] Dick Togo & Mens Teoh & Shiryu vs Great Sasuke & Gran Hamada & Masato Yakushiji