Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-10-20-NJPW-Super Grade Tag League] Jushin Liger vs Great Muta

Loss

• 1 month later...

I expected this to be epic, life-or-death wrestling. The video package was awesome. Then, you get the match, which is a heck of a spectacle, but nothing is really going on for a while. Muta does most of the same stuff he did in the Tenryu match, only he had much better chemistry with Tenryu. Still, not sure if it mattered much, as I think the big part of the appeal here is that it's LIGER VS MUTA! Liger going under the ring after Muta is awesome, even more so when the cameraman follows them. Then Muta attacks Liger with a broom! And starts ripping a mask! And he goes to attack Liger with a chair, realizes Liger is wearing the same face paint, then Liger sprays him in the eyes with mist himself and does his own brawling! This had to be fun for both of them because it was so different, but this match is ass. Still, I'm glad I saw it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

One of those matches that defies a star rating but that everyone should probably see once, just because it's so different. I loved Muta's misadventures trying to set up the table on end outside the ring, before deciding "fuck it" and just chucking it at Liger. This is a total sportz-entertainment match with New Japan-level work and layout, and somehow it all works even if sounds silly when described.

• 2 years later...

A complete spectacle of a match. It is very thematic like Muto and Tenryu and while I don't think it was as good as an overall match as that, I am a sucker for this style in these doses and will rank it accordingly. Both of these guys feel larger than life and perform a match that lives up to that narrative. I especially liked the face paint that Liger had on underneath his mask and that we get the evil red mist from Muta. Muta ends up getting the pin but Liger feels like he belongs inside the ring. ****

• 8 months later...

This isn't an all time classic, but it is an all time must see, for sure. Incredible, ridiculous cinematic spectacle of a match. I did at times feel that strictly as a match it left a bit to be desired, but as an overall presentation, man, this was something else. Liger's face paint reveal was just one of the great spots in wrestling history. And we get an under-the-ring cam! And the ending. And lots of awesome stuff in between it all.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-10-20-NJPW-Super Grade Tag League] Jushin Liger vs Great Muta
  • 1 year later...

This was the first ever puro match that I watched and it will always have a special place in my heart because of that. This is the perfect Dome match. From the larger than life entrances to, the emphasis on hardcore wrestling and the special moments like Liger getting his mask ripped off, this was New Japan doing sports entertainment and it pays off supremely well. I can't name a better you a better performance from Mutoh as Muta either. He gets frustrated that Liger has got his number and he's a treat to watch. 

★★★★★