Photo

Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs Kenta Kobashi & The Patriot (AJPW Real World Tag League 11/22/96)

AJPW Real World Tag League November 22 1996 Mitsuharu Misawa Jun Akiyama Kenta Kobashi The Patriot Misawa vs Kobashi Okayama 3.75*

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

Misawa_Akiyama_Kobashi_Patriot_112296.jp

#2 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

Lots of bland matwork early on, and probably the least of the tag league matches so far. It gets really, really good in the final stretch, but there is too much time wasting at the beginning. This is a match that is meant to be seen JIP.

#3 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

Lots of bland matwork early on, and probably the least of the tag league matches so far. It gets really, really good in the final stretch, but there is too much time wasting at the beginning. This is a match that is meant to be seen JIP.

Watching it JIP for the first time it looked like a MOTYC. Then watching the full version it's clearly NOT.

#4 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

Good reason for it to be on the set. :) John

#5 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

Good reason for it to be on the set. :)

John

Agreed. Even if some of these matches don't hold up in full, it opens up the floor for an interesting discussion about whether JIP skewed how good matches seemed to be.

#6 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

Totally agree. And also what forms of JIP impact less or greater. We've talked in the past about how AJW could slice a 20+ minutes match down into a 8 minute epic, and the editing is so well don't think people don't get that they're watching a massive clip job. On the other hand, the Hokuto-Kandori was much more moderately edited on TV. Seeing the full is a positive, but not really the massive difference that say the Toyota-Kyoko 1992 singles match that Dave gave ***** to the radical clip-o version. Kroffat & Furnas vs Kobashi & Kikuchi is nice to have in an extended version, but it's not quite the same as have the full versions of the 5/94 and 6/95 Kawada & Taue vs Misawa & Kobashi matches where 40-50% were on the cutting room floor. I'd really love to have the full version of the 11/93 Misawa & Kobashi vs Hansen & Baba to see just what was popping the crowd when they joined it about 7 seven minutes in... but there's the final 23 minutes of the match, and you get a really good sense of what they did to make the match work really well. :) The other thing is that Carny, G1, the RWTL and TOTSJ/BOTSJ are good annual pulses of AJ and NJ. Most things from those are worth looking at for one reason or another. Even a solid *** G-1 match, if there isn't a comperable matches involving the wrestlers elsewhere in the year, is worthwhile. It would have been nice to have at least one Sasaki match from G-1 a something like people thinking about the difference between Sasaki and Taue isn't too bad a thought to be bubbling through the year. Not that I can remember a Sasaki match at G-1 that stood out. :) Stuff like Koshinaka-Kojima... that's really cool that it made the cut. So somthing like this tag making it... very good. John

#7 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9187 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:53 PM

Slower start but a hotter finish. MUCH hotter. Call me easy to please but I liked this more than the first tag match on this card, because this truly felt like anybody could conceivably pin anybody else down the stretch, which isn't a dynamic you often get in All-Japan. Kobashi really has Misawa on the ropes at one point, especially after an awesome combination power bomb/Patriot Missile that looks great and would have killed Mitsuharu dead if not for a save. Then Akiyama and Patriot each have each other beaten, then Misawa's beating up Kobashi outside...even though the two partners were clearly on a lower level, in isolation it didn't feel that way. This is also one of the better Patriot performances you'll see--he's not a Triple Crown-level guy and probably never will be, but his moves have more snap to them now and he works some nice little exchanges with both opponents, and really knows how to build up and tease the rather pedestrian-by-AJPW-standards full nelson buster as looking like a killer move. He has some great kickouts down the stretch too. Ultimately this gets monster bonus points for having me truly believe Misawa might do the J-O-B to Kobashi--I understand why he didn't, but I think Baba would have been perfectly justified had he chosen to pull the trigger on that right here.

#8 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10258 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

An iffy opening but I wouldn't call it bad. I agree with everyone that the back half was fantastic and especially the mixing of Akiyama and Patriot. I thought it was clever with the makeup of this match in that Kobashi is now the strongest of all being the TC holder but together AKiyama and Misawa are better as a team. ***3/4

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AJPW, Real World Tag League, November 22, 1996, Mitsuharu Misawa, Jun Akiyama, Kenta Kobashi, The Patriot, Misawa vs Kobashi, Okayama, 3.75*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users