Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-11-24-WCW-World War III] Hulk Hogan vs Roddy Piper Contract Signing

Loss

• 2 months later...

Hogan should be studied here. He was amazing. This was also really well laid out, with nice little touches like no one in the NWO laying any blows in on Piper except Hogan. Everyone laid out Savage all the time, so that was a nice way to make him seem like a tougher challenger. Then, Piper occasionally breaks free of the NWO restraining him to attack Hogan. Another nice touch. They really did a good job hyping the Hogan/Piper match, and Hogan was doing the best interviews of his career at this point.

• 3 years later...

Gotta love Piper telling Vincent "I taught you how to fight !". Yeah, just a terrific angle. I agree Hogan is doing the best work of his life at this point. I never enjoyed Hulk much, but Hollywood at his peak and when he had a real issue to work with was just awesome. "Show'them the hip !" Piper is excellent here too, the way he reacts when Hogan shows the scar is exactly what it should have been. Great selling after the beating too. It's amazing that ten years after WM1, WCW was able to milk Piper vs Hogan and make it another money program, not by rehashing it but by making everything fresh and exciting again. If only they had been that smart with their up and coming talent...

• 1 year later...

Schiavone: "I never thought we'd see Bischoff and Vince walking down the aisle together, but there we are."

This is the best WCW use of Piper yet, and for the first time it actually has me looking forward to the Starrcade match. They play on past history--including Piper and Vincent's--without letting it overwhelm the angle and creating their own, new history. It also helps that Piper is still "an island unto himself" as Gordon Solie so often described him. He makes it clear that he doesn't give a shit about about the NWO and WCW, he's out for Hogan only. *And* he even gets the last word after getting beat down, and gets the NWO to bail when he gets back up and throws the table. Yeah, a great angle indeed.

• 5 months later...

Piper's got such a dangerous look in his eye, and he shows no fear at any point. All the passive NWO members play their role really well, even their facial expressions, no one's laughing or making stupid faces, everyone just stays quiet and still until it's time to attack. I'm re-watching this feud right now and it's better than I remember it. This might actually best booked feud in NWO history. The Starrcade match works so we'll see if there's anything crummy between now and then. And I'm watching the show as I type this and Jimmy Hart just came out wearing a jacket with a MISFITS skull on the back! Righteous.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-11-24-WCW-World War III] Hulk Hogan vs Roddy Piper Contract Signing