Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-12-02-WCW-Nitro] Roddy Piper beats up Eric Bischoff

Loss

• 2 months later...

The third Piper segment of the show.

He brings a chair into the ring and sits down until Hogan comes out. Instead, we get Bischoff, who gets DOUSED with someone's drink in a funny moment. Piper decks Bischoff and grabs a chair and holds the entire NWO at bay. Then Kevin Greene comes out to help him out and the show goes off the air.

This was the first time anyone had held the NWO off, so it got over huge, and they picked the perfect city to do that in and get a huge pop.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Quite the hard-sell for Hogan vs. Piper on this show. I guess that answers my earlier question about Piper's challenge. Piper stages an in-ring sitdown until Hogan comes out, but instead he's greeted by Eric Bischoff and his new evil goatee. Bischoff gets absolutely DRENCHED with crap on the way to the ring (Heenan: "Look at him, he's sweating!"). Really good segment overall with nobody wearing out their welcome. Eric makes his point, Piper cold cocks him to a huge pop, and the Outsiders and DiBiase are held off by Piper and Kevin Greene as the crowd loses their shit, and things go off the air right as Nash makes a play to enter the ring. One of many, many great endings to come (on both shows, actually) that had you counting the minutes until next Monday night.

• 5 months later...

Third Piper segment of the show and I would have watched a fourth. Piper has been red hot and when this first aired I was losing my mind during the whole feud. "After the show exclusive" footage on the Network shows Arn and Mongo coming out to help fight off the NWO while the crowd goes crazy. Piper and Arn hug at the end in a great moment and for the first time WCW fights back.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Eric got pelted with all sorts of stuff as he came to the ring. Three segments for Piper on Nitro and they ran the spectrum of introspective to him fending off the NWO in chaotic fashion. THe ending scene with him with the chair was well done. I dug this Nitro a lot for the big takeaway stuff heading into Starrcade.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-12-02-WCW-Nitro] Roddy Piper beats up Eric Bischoff