Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-12-16-WCW-Nitro] Arn Anderson vs Kevin Sullivan

Loss

• 2 months later...

Before the match, there's a video of Benoit and Woman at a low lit restaurant, which I have to just fast forward. Just too weird.

These two have a wild match brawling through the crowd, and it's also Arn's last match ever. Arn gets a thumb to the eye and accidentally DDTs Mark Curtis, which is always awesome when that spot happens. Arn counters the tree of woe with a fist to the, um, lower abdomen. Hugh Morrus comes out and gets a DDT. Finally, the Dungeon of Doom numbers catch up and Sullivan gets the win.

There's this morbid curiosity where I wonder, if they pulled Arn out of the ring for a few months and built him up huge, emphasizing his victory over Hogan, if they could have had a PPV main event that was Arn's last match. Probably not, but fun to think about.

• 3 weeks later...

The last match I clearly remember seeing him in was the match with Luger in Vegas a few months prior to this, though I have vague memories of him in that year's World War III match. If it weren't for Bischoff's general attitude about how worthless Arn was, a program with Hogan would have been worthwhile and good television because of the reasons stated.

Before the match, there's a video of Benoit and Woman at a low lit restaurant, which I have to just fast forward. Just too weird.

These two have a wild match brawling through the crowd, and it's also Arn's last match ever. Arn gets a thumb to the eye and accidentally DDTs Mark Curtis, which is always awesome when that spot happens. Arn counters the tree of woe with a fist to the, um, lower abdomen. Hugh Morrus comes out and gets a DDT. Finally, the Dungeon of Doom numbers catch up and Sullivan gets the win.

There's this morbid curiosity where I wonder, if they pulled Arn out of the ring for a few months and built him up huge, emphasizing his victory over Hogan, if they could have had a PPV main event that was Arn's last match. Probably not, but fun to think about.

My Arn fantasy booking is always in early 90 used (w/Heenan) instead of Hennig vs Hogan, with a storyline based over limbwork destroying the ability for Hogan to hit the legdrop. Obviously he would have resigned in this case.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I never realized this was Arn's last match. Too damn bad about the neck injury, Arn still had a lot in the tank. Wild brawl indeed. Best counter ever to the tree of woe spot. Arn doing the job building heat for Sullivan. I loved this feud. Of course it's a little more complicated to enjoy now. Woman & Chris at the restaurant had Chris saying a few words in French. Creepy in retrospect.

Arn was on Saturday Night against Chavo Jr. in 01/04/97 (of course it was most probably taped before the Nitro match).

Edit : actually, Arn did work another match live on Nitro in 1997, against Rick Steiner on January 13. He was also featured on Satudray Night on 01/18 against the Barbarian in a fun little match ending with another Jarrett/Benoit angle.

Edit : and yet another one : Arn & Steve McMicheal vs Eddie Guerrero & Jeff Jarrett on Nitro January 20.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Lee Marshall with the 1-800-COLLECT ROAD REPORT! Then Benoit and Woman in a restaurant...it's useless to try to talk about now, but for awhile I loved Benoit's "Kevin, doesn't life SUCK?" This is a pretty awesome brawl, with two guys just stiffing the shit out of each other and Arn providing the greatest counter to the Tree of Woe in history. Arn picking off the DOD one-by-one does bring to mind the idea of him doing that to the NWO, if they really wanted to go with Arn-Hollywood, which of course was a pipe dream even if Anderson were healthy.

El-P searching for the one true final Arn match felt like me watching Steamboat in '94, constantly turning up on TV around and after Fall Brawl. We'll end up finding an Arn vs. Kwee Wee match from 2000 or something.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

This match was damn good while it lasted. Real rough and tumble brawl with a chaotic feeling and super hot crowd. That low blow in the tree of woe spot was a thing of beauty. The clusterfuck at the end was also good, but I was disappointed to see the actual match wind down so soon.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-12-16-WCW-Nitro] Arn Anderson vs Kevin Sullivan