Pro Wrestling Only

Former WWE Writer's Blog

Strummer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont want to take any business from Wade but the main takeaways of part 1 are:

The usual thing about Steph, Vince and Trips being all nice people.

Brian Gerwritz writes shows around his strong suit promos rather than characters and storylines.

WWE arent adverse to hiring people who are fans anymore

WWE requires that each individual in creative to write a full individual Raw script which maybe be used in full or in part in the final script at the head writers discretion. John estimated that only 10% of the time the writers input is included in the final Raw script.

I never understood that mindset, even a little.

Bryan Alvarez once interview Northwest indy fixture and former Roddy Piper assistant Jim Valley. Anyway he auditioned as an announcer in the early 2000s. WWE literally quizzed him on his wrestling knowledge and said names of various non-mainstream wrestlers to see if they could suss him out as a fan by his reaction. The way he tells it is crazy.

Brian Gerwritz writes shows around his strong suit promos rather than characters and storylines.

Is that why Raw sucks? Because other than Punk, Miz, Lawler, and occasionally Cena, nobody on Raw can cut a decent promo.

Well this week you had Edge doing a John Cena promo at the start of Raw.

I wonder how much of a role Miz's success played into that. He's clearly a huge fan and used that as part of his motivation.

Also seeing how the wrestlers who were hired during the "no fans" period clearly had no passion for the business, and either quit or just gave up until they got endeavored probably played a part too.

I wonder how much of a role Miz's success played into that. He's clearly a huge fan and used that as part of his motivation.

Also seeing how the wrestlers who were hired during the "no fans" period clearly had no passion for the business, and either quit or just gave up until they got endeavored probably played a part too.

It's probably a little harder to find people who want to get into wrestling who aren't fans these days. During the boom it had to be a lot easier, no? Now you sort of have to be a mark for the business for wanting to head that way instead of doing something with MMA or what have you. Or at least that's my generalization for today.

PWTorch was offering $5 off a monthly web subscription or $8 off a monthly web+print sub. I've never subscribed to the Torch before and was going to give it a shot despite being underwhelmed by the audio quality on their shows, but it appears the offer has expired already. Poor customer service to not give an expiration on it, and to leave the ad for it up after it's expired, and they just lost one potential subscriber.

It's probably a little harder to find people who want to get into wrestling who aren't fans these days. During the boom it had to be a lot easier, no? Now you sort of have to be a mark for the business for wanting to head that way instead of doing something with MMA or what have you. Or at least that's my generalization for today.

Email Nancy

I never got the impression he was cribbing from Jericho, just that he was trying to create a distinction from his goofy mid carder persona and his more serious main event champion one.

Which now that I think about it, is what Jericho had to do as well so I see where the comparison came from. What other choice would someone like Miz have though? He wouldn't have a prayer being a main eventer being the fedora wearing chick magnet.

Apparently another tidbit that came from that guy's blog is that the Usos got their legs cut out from under them because Vince doesn't understand hip-hop culture. Guess that showed them to try to go outside the approved WWE Samoan stereotype.

Well, as Meltzer pointed out, there was also the whole deal with them not being able to talk and being brought up too soon.

He also noted the Usos push stopped because Vince doesn’t understand the hip hop culture. He said they debuted just before Nexus and once Nexus came in, they got lost. He was a supporter of theirs, claiming credit for that first interview they did and with the idea they would be doing a gimmick completely different from the stereotypical WWE Samoans, dressing in nice clothes, wearing wrestling boots, doing articulate interviews. The problem to me was even though the two are very talented in the ring, pretty much naturals, given their very limited experience (they were called up very quickly after starting, even more than guys like Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar), they had to go out there and do a long promo early on, and they weren’t ready for it. I know some people liked the gimmick and others didn’t. But they weren’t confident enough or just not ready enough to deliver that long promo on a live Raw.

Going from promos backstage in Florida to promos before 10,000 people is a huge step. That’s one of the major current problems with wrestling is you don’t have those years working in different places learning and getting comfortable and confident before being a polished act when you debut on national television.

And while the Uso's haven't been pushed to the moon, they haven't put them in grass skirts with no boots.