WCW ongoing thread

• Please log in to reply
1049 replies to this topic

#1041 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:26 AM

The major upside being, most likely nobody would have hired Brutus Beefcake. :)

To be honest after hearing the report on Beefcake on WWE around Summerslam time when he required metal plates in his face I thought he was done as a wrestler.

I was very suprised when he came back in 93 for a few matches. I was a massive fan of Beefcake and loved his cutting peoples hair but when he went to WCW I was very disapointed in his run. Even the heel turn seems like it probably would have been better had Vince done it.

#1042 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1841 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

Yep, people forget how over and entertaining the Beefcake character was in the WWF.

His horrid WCW run and million different bad gimmicks have overshadowed that for some reason.

#1043 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:58 AM

I like Bruteye in the later 80's with Valentine. I think he's got a good look, they put on decent matches, and his gimmick is silly but fun. 

I have not seem him in WCW, though. 

#1044 Mrzfn

Mrzfn
  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

I've just watched his stuff from '84 to '88... I mean yes, he's much better than he'd be in WCW, but I still just don't care for him, and I don't think he'd have been pushed so prominently without his connections. His best time was definitely teaming with Valentine.

#1045 thebrainfollower

thebrainfollower
  • Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Doctor Who, Star Wars, classic horror, politics, history, theater, and that wrestling thing we are here for.

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

Has anyone ever made or know where one could find a compilation of all those Dungeon of Doom segments in the Wizard's lair?   I want to show those to a couple of newer fans for a gag.

#1046 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:36 PM

I've just watched his stuff from '84 to '88... I mean yes, he's much better than he'd be in WCW, but I still just don't care for him, and I don't think he'd have been pushed so prominently without his connections. His best time was definitely teaming with Valentine.

I was watching 87 WWF earlier this year and was watching Brutus as he was given the Barber gimmick. It is an interesting evolution as you can tell he is uncomfortable with the gimmick. He is trying to work it as if he were an actual barber, smock and all. He would really try to style the jobbers hair. Using styling cream and using a mirror.  

Over the next few months he starts to loosen up. Once he gets away from Johnny V and feuds with Valentine and Honky he turns the corner. Now he is Woody Woodpecker trying to ruin Wally Walrus's barbeque. 

I can't say he was a good wrestler, but he was good at being Brutus Beefcake. If the accident never happens, I think his career is much different and he is remembered better by fans. 

If he was not close to Hogan, I doubt he would have gotten the time he did in the WWF. But with his look, he would have gotten hired in different territories. 

After hearing the details of his accident, I respect him as a man that he did not lose his mind. 

#1047 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:14 AM

Beefcake in the late 80s seemed like he was the 3rd most popular guy in the company behind Hogan & Warrior. I think he was rumoured to take the belt off Perfect had he not been injured.

Since he turned face I don't think I saw him lose that many matches, well we never got house show matches over here so seemed he had a good win record. Sole Survivor in 89, beat Perfect at Mania, probably would have beaten Honky at Summerslam too.

#1048 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Always found it strange that Beefcake was on the losing end to Rick Martel more often then not at house shows from September 1989 through March 1990, including a December MSG TV match, when his push should've been at it's all time high coming off Summerslam and into the No Hold Barred match, and then onto "ending" Mr Perfect's televised winning streak to most of the audience (Warrior had beat him right before that on MSG TV) and likely an IC title reign.  But maybe it had more to do with the plans for Martel, he left for a few months that summer which probably wasn't planned.  He was advertised to face Tito at Summerslam which probably wouldn't have happened if they planned on him being gone.  Then he came back and was put into the big angle with Jake.

#1049 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 1977 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:52 PM

Rick Martel was injured during the summer of 1990, that's why the match with Tito Santana never happened at Summerslam. He returned in October to start the angle with Jake "The Snake" Roberts, IIRC.

#1050 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:01 AM

Always found it strange that Beefcake was on the losing end to Rick Martel more often then not at house shows from September 1989 through March 1990, including a December MSG TV match, when his push should've been at it's all time high coming off Summerslam and into the No Hold Barred match, and then onto "ending" Mr Perfect's televised winning streak to most of the audience (Warrior had beat him right before that on MSG TV) and likely an IC title reign.  But maybe it had more to do with the plans for Martel, he left for a few months that summer which probably wasn't planned.  He was advertised to face Tito at Summerslam which probably wouldn't have happened if they planned on him being gone.  Then he came back and was put into the big angle with Jake.

The way they changed Martel's character after Strike Force and made him to the upper card as a top guy I was suprised they never put the IC title on him. Sure in 92 he was regulary losing by pinfalls but he seemed the more dominant victor in his feud with Santana but after that they didnt really do much with him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users