Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-01-23-WCW-Saturday Night] Up Close w/ Sting

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Sting talks about his 1992 as they show clips of the two PPV matches with Vader while talking strategy with Tony Schiavone.

It's interesting that most of the things that people associate with '93 WCW (Blonds vs Steamboat/Douglas, Vader vs Sting, Hollywood Blonds, etc) were started at the tail end of the Watts run and continued by the new regime.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Another good segment that doesn't insult the audience unlike the White Castle of Fear segment. Talking strategy and putting over the Power Bomb is good stuff. Treating it as a shoot is great.

I totally agree with everything you say here. Talking about strategy and treating the matches as if they were legitimate athletic competition is something you usually associate with Watts booking, and Sting does a great job of seriously explaining his two mathes with Vader, ridiculous outfit notwithstanding.

Ten minutes later in the disc, we see the opposite end of the spectrum with the White Caste of Fear segment. :huh:

• 1 year later...

I really liked Sting talking about previous match with Vader at the Bash mentioning about how he lost when he over shot the Stinger splash. He also puts over Vader and the devastating effect of the powerbomb. Tony brings up Vader’s invitation to Sting to go the White Castle of Fear. I eagerly await.

• 4 months later...

Sting breaks down his title loss at GAB '92 to Vader as well as his King of Cable win. I can't keep talking about how cool these realistic interviews are, but that's all I have to say.

And from that, we go to...the White Castle of Fear. I'm convinced some of the dumber WCW ideas came from people higher up than the Executive VP. That includes RoboCop, Oz, and the various mini-movies. This stuff took place under three different regimes all with rather wide differences.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

One of my favorite Sting promos of all time honestly. He has some good points about keeping with his same strategy and so far he is 1-1 in that approach. At the end, he gets more excitable but doesn't turn to the goofy, nonsensical Sting that happens too much on promos. Really effective stuff and one of my favorite face paint set ups too with the light blue and white.

• 1 year later...

Another realistic interview segment. This is the anti-Piper's Pit, where the whole point is to further angles or start fights (although this particular segment showed Sting accepting Vader's challenge for SuperBrawl); here we get strategy talk and at least a small look into what makes the wrestlers tick outside of the ring.

I liked Sting breaking down the two matches he's has so far with Vader, and how he was critical of his performance at the Bash, which you seldom hear from wrestlers in any type of interview situation. He also put Vader over as not only a monster, but a worthy champion, which is another thing you don't hear much from a prospective challenger in this day and age. The mini-promo at the end was pretty good, although after what I've read about the White Castle of Fear I'm not exactly looking forward to it.

The only one of these segments left for this month is Austin and Pillman. I'll be waiting to see if they follow the low-key approach that the other guests took or if we'll get something closer to a regular promo, given that they're supposed to be cocky heels.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-01-23-WCW-Saturday Night] Up Close w/ Sting