Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-01-30-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler / Music Video: PG-13

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

They show clips from the Royal Rumble of Lawler and Mr. Perfect getting into it.

Then, Jerry Lawler does an interview. Jeff Jarrett, Danny Davis and Eddie Marlin are out to congratulate him for going after Perfect, which doesn't quite make sense to me, but Lawler does his typical great promo making sense of everything. Lawler talks about his quest to unify all the world titles in wrestling, as there should only be world champion.

Lawler says when Curt Hennig laid eyes on him in the locker room, he knew there would be trouble. Lawler mentions that he beat him for the AWA title in 1988.

Perfect responds in front of his WWF green screen to hype an upcoming match at Mid South Coliseum.

All this interpromotional stuff is still a trip.

Then we get a music video for PG-13 to an instrumental version of "Hip Hop Hooray", with their own words overdubbed! This is very very early 90s in its special effects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I actually wondered if there was a feud between Perfect and Lawler based on what happened at Royal Rumble. They show clips of the Rumble and then completely embrace Lawler as a good guy. That is pretty funny. Lawler wants to put the USWA title up against the WWF title. Lawler brings up the previous matches with Hennig from the 80s. Nice touch. Mr. Perfect plays total heel in his interview from WWF studios.

Check out those fancy graphics. Akeem the African Dream would have fit in with this dancing with PG-13.

• 4 months later...

I always wondered why that Lawler/Perfect incident never got any follow-up. Turns out that it did--just in Memphis only.

Eddie Marlin, Jeff Jarrett, and Danny Davis lead the way for the King, complete with fanfare. Lawler is receiving congratulations for something or other--I guess he's regained the Unified title or gotten a title shot. Lawler again expresses his desire to put his belt up against the WWF title, which the Royal Rumble would have given him the opportunity to do. Jerry tells us that Curt Hennig had it in for him as soon as Lawler stepped into the locker room, all because of the big blemish on his Perfect Record--the AWA World title loss.

Perfect sends in a green screen promo. It's hard to see where Perfect's in the wrong in this specific instance--we saw Lawler was already eliminated. Perfect points out Lawler's silly crown, like he stepped out of an Imperial Margarine commercial. Strong promo--this definitely seems like a hot main event for the MSC. Jerry rebuts.

PG-13! This is, without a hint of irony or exaggeration, infinitely cooler and more culturally on the mark than PN News or MOM ever were. Not bad for two skinny white boys from Tennessee. The effects are cheap and dated but this is a genuinely good intro video.

I always wondered why that Lawler/Perfect incident never got any follow-up. Turns out that it did--just in Memphis only.

Eddie Marlin, Jeff Jarrett, and Danny Davis lead the way for the King, complete with fanfare. Lawler is receiving congratulations for something or other--I guess he's regained the Unified title or gotten a title shot. Lawler again expresses his desire to put his belt up against the WWF title, which the Royal Rumble would have given him the opportunity to do. Jerry tells us that Curt Hennig had it in for him as soon as Lawler stepped into the locker room, all because of the big blemish on his Perfect Record--the AWA World title loss.

Perfect sends in a green screen promo. It's hard to see where Perfect's in the wrong in this specific instance--we saw Lawler was already eliminated. Perfect points out Lawler's silly crown, like he stepped out of an Imperial Margarine commercial. Strong promo--this definitely seems like a hot main event for the MSC. Jerry rebuts.

PG-13! This is, without a hint of irony or exaggeration, infinitely cooler and more culturally on the mark than PN News or MOM ever were. Not bad for two skinny white boys from Tennessee. The effects are cheap and dated but this is a genuinely good intro video.

• 3 months later...

Clips of Lawler in the Rumble. then he's out with Jarrett, Danny Davis & Eddie Marlin. Lawler does an interview talking about Henning and their brawl at the Rumble, and their history in the USWA/AWA feud from 1988. Then a Perfect promo talking about coming to Memphis to take out Lawler. PG-13 video to Hip Hop Hooray. This feels like a Memphis version of Public Enemy in ECW and is *great*. Best thing I've seen from Memphis this year.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is Memphis wrestling's second foray into using a rap gimmick. The first was a One Week Wonder named Chilly B. Cool, an obese man who's quick squash match had them playing "Funky Cold Medina" the whole time (predating the Gangstas in ECW by like 7 years). His promo was especially brutal. "Yo!" "Funky" being the first two words before going into a rap about Dutch Mantell. The whole thing is horribly embarrassing, if you ever see it. However, this was the summer of Freddy facing Jason, the Wolfman, and Frankenstein (obvious signs that Lawler was booking) so PG-13 looked hip and progressive actually.

• 2 months later...

Jamie and Wolfie aren't just good rappers for wrestlers, they're good rappers period. It's amazing that the USWA, of all places, can feature two skinny white guys as a rapping tag team and not have the whole thing come off as a total embarrassment. I'll take these two over 2 Cold Scorpio as a rap gimmick any day.

I liked hearing Curt's heel schtick one more time, and he has a point about Lawler eliminating him from the outside in the Rumble, which Lawler chooses not to address in the interview. What I'm wondering is why Vince didn't follow up on this in the WWF itself. Luger wasn't wrestling yet, and Heenan and Lawler had a loose association, so it would have made perfect (no pun intended) sense for Lawler to be a paid henchman for the Brain trying to put Curt out of wrestling. But for whatever reason, Vince chose not to see that, which is a shame.

Lawler did a good job of quelling the "celebration" that popped up at the beginning of the segment. Yes, Curt's a bona fide WWF superstar, but he doesn't hold a belt, so Lawler's quest to merge the WWF and Unified titles is on hold. As it turned out, I don't think Lawler got a WWF/E championship match of any kind until a few years ago, just before his heart attack, and there was no way Vince was sticking the World title on an old man like Lawler by that point, even for a night. It's a shame Bret had to lose the title before the Lawler feud got started, as a title vs. title unification match would have at least popped the Memphis loop, even if the WWF never acknowledged it otherwise.

Curt was in full WWF character mode in one other important way: while he alluded to "differences" that he'd had with Lawler over the years, he never brought up his AWA World title loss, although Lawler did in his rebuttal.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-01-30-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler / Music Video: PG-13