Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-01-30-USA Wrestling] Personality Profile: Austin Idol

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Austin Idol does a sit down interview talking about The Iron Sheik. In the middle of the interview, a FedEx comes through from "T.F. Collections" and a letter included says "Austin Idol, you know me, it's time to pay up. -- TF"

Cool to see some of this rare stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Did any schools actually make money from these wrestling fundraisers? Even though they sound carny as fuck, I wish we'd gotten one of these in school, instead of selling cheese & sausage or candy every year.

Austin Idol is back from some apparently crippling car accident two years ago. He puts over the promotion and the area, in a way more low-key interview than his usual bombastic style. Idol vs. Iron Sheik is quite a bit past its sell-by date as an issue, though Sheik actually looks a bit more jacked than he has recently.

Idol is then presented a FedEx package from "TF & Collections," and it's a threat for Idol to "pay up." The interviewer mentions two phone calls from two different people regarding the package--sounds like the Funk Brothers to me.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Idol vs. Sheik ought to really pack them in by the teens. I know that every promotion wants recognizable names, but did whoever's running this outfit take a look at Sheik when he was Col. Mustafa? There's a reason why he didn't get any kind of push once Sarge turned; he simply could not move anymore. Idol's not exactly spry either, but assuming that his car wreck was legit, at least he has a decent excuse.

I wouldn't be too sure about the Funks coming in; if this was meant to be a major feud they wouldn't have dismissed that envelope quite so casually. They undoubtedly meant to follow up on it, but I'm not sure how many more months- or weeks- they were in business. Austin-Terry would have been a solid feud, but how good a tag team feud involving Hoss would have been depends on who Idol would have gotten to team with him

I'm guessing that Charlie the interviewer was longtime Continental voice Charlie Platt.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-01-30-USA Wrestling] Personality Profile: Austin Idol