Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-02-06-WWF-Superstars] Update: recap of Giant Gonzalez's debut

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

This update focuses on Giant Gonzales' debut at the Royal Rumble, interfering in the match and laying out Undertaker. For some reason, he keeps posting Undertaker's leg on the ringpost, which makes no sense when Taker is already selling being unconscious, but whatever. Harvey Whippleman does an interview standing next to Giant Gonzales after they show the clip, which demonstrates the amazing height difference nicely.

• 3 months later...

Wrapping Undertaker's knee around the post even though he's already unconscious was pretty weird, yeah, but I thought Taker's sell of it was awesome; like a zombie whose leg's just been pumped with a sawed-off. I can't remember the last time I actually watched an early 90s Undertaker match, but I thought he had that gimmick down pretty perfectly in terms of selling.

• 2 years later...

We are still doing WWF update. Gene lost weight over the years. Giant Gonzales! Well he did have a decent chokeslam. That outfit is ridiculous. Can’t wait until he chokeslams Fonzie at Summerslam. They are doing some fancy Lord of the Rings positioning by having Harvey stand five feet behind Gonzales to make him look even taller.

• 3 months later...

And we have our contender for 1993's Worst Gimmick, as Jorge Gonzalez makes a staggeringly unnecessary jump to the WWF. I guess Vince felt he needed to at least give the guy a try, and I guess I can't even fault him for that. UT goes all-out to try to get him over, but this was a doomed program.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That bodysuit completely eliminates whatever menace Gigante may have had, which wasn't much to start with. It's not even human looking; it looks like something Charles Schulz may have drawn to get over his depression before starting Peanuts on a given day.

They also needed a more experienced manager to help get Gigante over. I'm no fan of Bruno as Harvey Wippleman; his accent grates, and Jimmy Hart plays the annoying pipsqueak so much better even at this late date. Maybe you sign Corny a few months early and tell him to get what he can out of this mess before you put him with Yoko.

I kind of like the idea that Gigante keeps attacking even though Taker's knocked out; it establishes him as a bloodthirsty animal. Taker sells the damage beautifully for someone who's not used to selling, especially in this gimmick.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-02-06-WWF-Superstars] Update: recap of Giant Gonzalez's debut
  • 2 years later...
On 3/12/2011 at 4:28 AM, Loss said:

This update focuses on Giant Gonzales' debut at the Royal Rumble, interfering in the match and laying out Undertaker. For some reason, he keeps posting Undertaker's leg on the ringpost, which makes no sense when Taker is already selling being unconscious, but whatever. Harvey Whippleman does an interview standing next to Giant Gonzales after they show the clip, which demonstrates the amazing height difference nicely.

I always assumed it was to prove that Undertaker could be damaged. Previously, chair shots, piledrivers on the floor etc had never appeared to cause him lasting harm.