Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-02-06-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs The Shadow / Interview: Bert Prentice

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Lawler makes quick work of The Shadow and Brian Christopher gets on the mic calling Lawler out. Meanwhile, Doink is putting banana peels all over the ringside area. It was all a trick to attack Lawler, as Lawler ends up slipping on the banana peels when chasing Lawler out of the ring. Finally, Jeff Jarrett comes to Lawler's rescue.

Immediately after Lawler and Jarrett leave, Bert Prentice comes out in boxing gloves and does a promo against someone named Bubba Johnson.

Love the Doink stuff.

That entire USWA ep is great. Doink came out at least 3 times including the just astonishing squash tag match with Christopher (Did that make the comp? I'm just talking from seeing this stuff on justin.tv a few months ago). I really felt like Borne felt like he could cut loose down there in a way he couldn't up North.

Immediately after Lawler and Jarrett leave, Bert Prentice comes out in boxing gloves and does a promo against someone named Bubba Johnson.

I assume you probably figured this out eventually, but Prentice was calling Miss Texas "Bubba Johnson," saying she was a actually a man in drag.

I assume you probably figured this out eventually, but Prentice was calling Miss Texas "Bubba Johnson," saying she was a actually a man in drag.

That dates back to the late '92 episodes where Prentice was saying how he wanted 'hormonal tests' done on Miss Texas before Leslie Belanger was prepared to face her. He refers to her at other times then as 'Testosterone Tessie' and later says that he has done some investigations and she was really born a man, and her birth name was Bubba Johnson. Back then he also claimed that Texas was having an affair with Eddie Marlin, and also that Marlin knew she was 'really a he'.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Shadow wasn’t much of a challenger. Oh, 1993 means a steady dose of Christopher. He lets us know over and over he will be shutting Lawler’s mouth. Doink with some banana peels. Lawler sells the banana peels big by slipping. I know it won’t be the same Doink but the Lawler/Doink fued was still going at the end of 94 in WWF.

• 3 months later...

The squash itself is kind of fun. Macklin's enthusiasm makes him hard to really hate, regardless of how poor a broadcaster he may be.

Afterwards Brian Christopher calls out Lawler, allowing Doink to set up some banana peels on the floor--you can guess where that goes. Christopher and Doink put a beatdown on Lawler until Jarrett runs them off. Funny visual of Doink peeking his head through the curtain and giggling, then going serious.

Bert Prentice makes a nuisance himself. Standard cheap-heat Memphis promo but Dave Brown is AWESOME, maybe legitimately pissed when he starts discussing all the men Bubba has taken the pants off of.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's amazing how a still relatively minor WWF character can come in basically out of nowhere and turn Memphis TV inside out. Papa probably wishes that he could book Doink on a regular basis, because he's the best heel that the USWA has had since Bill and Buddy were wrecking everything six years back. And that's just based on one TV show! (No, I haven't forgotten about the Moondogs, but they were a one-note act after the first month.)

About Lawler and son: Jerry must have raised Brian as a real carny, because there's no way in the world I could even pretend to touch my dad in anger, not even for millions of dollars, But they work together like it's nothing out of the ordinary. It says something about Brian's abilities that the fans presumably know that he supposedly wants to beat the hell out of his own father (whether it's acknowledged or not), yet accept him like just another one of the King's many challengers. In other words, he gets good heat, but not the death threats he'd probably be getting if the USWA played up their family ties.

I could have lived without Prentice. It's amazing, but this place still misses Jimmy Hart eight years later. If all we can get from the territory's top manager is transvestite jokes about the female talent and veiled references to Eddie Marlin sleeping with one of those supposed transvestites, the USWA needs to ban managers and let the wrestlers get their own heat, because they're a million times better at it. No wonder Dave got disgusted.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-02-06-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs The Shadow / Interview: Bert Prentice