Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-02-06-USWA-TV] Interview: Brian Christopher & Doink the Clown

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Brian Christopher gloats about everything they've done today. Doink calls Jeff Jarrett Ellie May Clampett and then switches gears to be more serious. Christopher then talks about how ashamed he is to be Southern and asks if he can move to NYC with Doink to be around people with brains.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Christopher rants about how smart he is while Doink puts bunny ears on Dave Brown's head. Christopher makes an AIDS crack that barely makes sense, but it's more in the delivery than the content with him, I guess. Brown looks nauseous even having to share screen time with Doink. Doink and Christopher have a conversation over which Beverly Hillbillies Jarrett and Lawler most resemble. Doink warns Lawler and Jarrett that they don't know what lurks behind the face. This is pure Jack Nicholson as the Joker, and it's fantastic.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Borne was great here as usual, but to me Brian almost stole the whole interview. Even at this early stage of his career, he's a better heel than his dad, and I'm not kidding. I have yet to see a heel Lawler promo or interview where ninety percent of the material didn't come out of a middle school joke book, even when he's supposed to be serious. Brian was just so wonderfully, sickeningly obnoxious here, putting over his own smarts, dismissing his dad and Jeff as two guys straight out of The Beverly Hillbillies, and finally declaring that he's ashamed to be from the South. It's not that the material is new; it's more that someone so young can do such a great job delivering it. Add in serious/evil Doink and you have the freshest Memphis interview segment in quite some time.

Was it just me, or did Dave seem on the verge of legitimately cracking up when he was looking at Doink? That doesn't seem like him at all; maybe what I saw as a smile was him setting his jaw in anger, which is just as possible given all the stuff he and Brian have pulled today.

Interestingly enough, we've seen Lawler be one of Doink's biggest fans on Superstars, even though he mildly disapproved of Doink's attack on Crush. I guess his standard "They hate me up there, so I cheer for the guys they hate" was enough to satisfy the Memphis fans who might have wondered about that.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-02-06-USWA-TV] Interview: Brian Christopher & Doink the Clown