Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-02-14-AAA] Rey Misterio Jr & Winners & Super Calo vs Heavy Metal & Picudo & Psicosis

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, this is definitely the match I saw from the outdoor show. They start off brawling all over the ringside area and the rudos take an early advantage on Winners. Psicosis wrestling the first few minutes of the match (and doing a senton) while wearing a cape is awesome! The finish to the first fall is great, with Rey catching Psicosis in a sunset flip with the cave going completely over his head for a pinfall, then catching Picudo for a win in a rana pinning combo. The first fall is over quickly, but contains tons of action. There are many of the same ideas done again in this match (like Psicosis and Picudo getting in a shoving match and near fist fight), but they work better here because the match is more cohesive.

Rey and Psicosis aren't as "hot" as they would be from 1994-1996 yet, but they already have tremendous chemistry. The second fall sees the rudos largely dominant with Rey playing a great punching bag. I love Metal's Indian deathlock pinning combo on Rey to take the second fall.

The third fall sees Psicosis do maybe the first bronco buster ever and he also plays Togo in the KDX "hold a guy and pose on him" spot. Rey tries a shoulderblock in the corner, which he misses, and it sends him flying outside the ring in an insane bump. Then we get a series of dives that's even better than the ones in the match the week before. But Metal finally secures the win for his team by pinning Rey with a fallaway slam into a bridge.

This isn't the classic I remembered, but it is a legitimate great match.

I liked this better then the first matchup. Rey getting destroyed is always fun. The dive sequence and finishing run were really great.

Winners has to be Charlie Sheen's favorite Luchador and his dive at the end (front flip over rotation and splat on his face on the guardrail) was painful.

• 3 months later...

Definitely thought this was a better match as a whole than the first one, even if I thought the dives in the first were a bit better. Still, the dive train at the end was pretty spectacular, especially Winners' whatever-the-fuck-that-was that probably broke his face. Misterio also takes a couple really nasty face-first bumps into the turnbuckle. There's one where Heavy Metal blindsides him with a pump kick to the back and Rey just goes flying into the corner; it doesn't even look like it was intentional on his part, so I'm wondering if he actually knew it was coming. A little later all three rudos give him an irish whip and just launch him face-first into the turnbuckle, feet off the ground and everything.

• 2 years later...

AAA jumping the gun on WWF for outdoor arena. Looks kind of familiar to Vegas arena used for WrestleMania. That was a blazing fast first fall with enough action. The triple pose backfires. If you’re going to slam your own face into the guardrail you might as well do it in style like Winners.

• 3 months later...

This is the #2 MOTY at this point behind the AJW-JWP tag (I know I said the Clash tag was the Match of the Month but I was forgetting something). Great opening--I think I've said this elsewhere, but I'm a mark for ring action with entrance gear still on. So we have 6 guys beating the shit out of each other *and* doing dives in ring jackets and capes--perfection. The first fall looks like a mostly-standard "rudos blitz the technicos and quickly win," just with more intense brawling. But after getting one pin, suddenly a miscommunication spot leads to Misterio coming back with great-looking rollups on Psicosis and Heavy Metal. Great little booking change-up. There was another rudo argument, but this was set up by a definitive fuck-up instead of some vague conflict as we saw the previous week. Things settle down a bit with Misterio getting worked over and eventually pinned with a funky cradle/submission by Metal that I think Dandy used in one of the hair or title matches we saw. More action in the third fall with a crazy dive train, starting with Misterio taking a ridiculous bump to the floor and highlighted by Winners taking an even more ridiculous faceplant against the barricade. Captain Misterio gets laid out and pinned by Metal again.

Incredible coming out party for Rey. His offense looked spectacular and was almost all perfectly executed, and he really looks like a wrestler of the future--and his bumps and selling were terrific as well. If this match had taken place a month and a half earlier that Rookie of the Year award would be all locked up.

• 3 months later...

So that's Juan de La Barrera bull ring. Pretty cool outdoor arena. I liked this better than the match the week before, but not dramatically so. Tecnicos take a quick first fall when Rey scores two fast pins. This fall saw a decent plancha from Heavy Metal but not much else. Psicosis is already such a great bumper at this stage and makes Misterio look like a superhero, flying everywhere in and around the ring for him. Misterio then sells, eating a 3 on 1 attack for a good stretch. After Metal's nice pinfall in the 2nd, we get another impressive dive train in the 3rd before Metal also closes that out, looking like a big deal in the process.

***1/2

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Even after the ring intros, the only guys I definitively recognized were Winners, Rey, and Heavy Metal (because he left his shirt on). The dives looked insane, and that's about all I've got. This is yet another match that I wish would have turned into something recognizably WWF or WCW in midstream. Who knows, maybe my wish will come true during one of these confusing mishmashes which most of you call good wrestling.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-02-14-AAA] Rey Misterio Jr & Winners & Super Calo vs Heavy Metal & Picudo & Psicosis
  • 5 months later...