Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-02-14-AAA] Eddy Guerrero & El Hijo del Santo & Konnan vs Cien Caras & Mascara Ano 2000 & Universo 2000

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Here for the novelty more than anything, as a rainstorm breaks out during the match, which takes place outdoors. Konnan obviously has no interesting in bumping as a result, and takes some of the worst bumps in recorded history and it seems like he decides to fake a knee injury to let the other guys do the work. Can't say I blame him, as the ring looked awfully slippery. There are tons of blown spots, but we'll cut them some leeway. In a way, this slip and slide match seems like it might be kinda fun. This is a pretty good match, given what they had to deal with, and I'm surprised no one got seriously hurt.

• 3 months later...

I was kind of dreading this when I saw how long it was (almost 30 minutes of Konnan is not my idea of a good time), but Cien Caras riling people up is always something I can get a kick out of. Plus I'll watch anything with Eddie in it. Still thought K-Dawg was pretty awful, but there were some neat enough moments from the others. The last couple minutes with everybody sliding all over the place and Cien Caras punting everybody in the dick were pretty fun, too.

• 2 years later...

The ring mat looks so slick and dangerous. They seem to be trying to keep it to the ground which is for the best. Konnan rolls himself up in a ball and just hold’s his knee. There was a triple team spot timed completely wrong but they didn’t have much hope by having both Santo and Guerrero jumping off the top rope at the same time. Risky to go that long in match with weather conditions.

• 3 months later...

The rudos take the first fall with another triple-submission, and Arturo Rivera practically orgasms in delight on commentary. Then the rains come and this gets pretty crazy--that ring looks like a knee ligament tear waiting to happen, and it's amazing that they did as much as they did. Konnan almost has me fooled with his knee injury, but then he does (or attempts) some athletic stuff with no problem before going back to selling it. It reminded me of Krusty the Clown playing Franklin Roosevelt on stage--"OH, that's right, I'm crippled!" Santo and Eddy attempt a double Doomsday device at one point, but the timing is off and only Santo hits. The rudos eventually rip Santo's mask off and we get another DQ finish. Los Hermanos Dinamitas really come off as dicks here at the end and I hope this was put over on commentary as well as it came across viewing it--Eddy and one referee (the other gets punked out, which I think is a lucha Yearbook first) try to cover Santo's face as the rudos continue to go to work on him, then the heels celebrate and get their music played. Not as good as the first match but this was fun.

• 1 year later...

Absolute superstar reaction for Konnan. Heels win quick first fall with some kind of triple submission on Eddy. Konnan continues selling the knee at this stage in the match, which is more than I'd expect for him. Heat for Caras is just off the charts. He's not exactly an elite worker, but I remember reading in the WON when I was younger how awful he was. Cien Caras is not awful. As part of a trios he is awesome. Heels controlling in the 2nd fall as well in what feels like an NWO beatdown. Eddy & Santo eventually save Konnan. Santo ripping off one of the Dinamitas' masks is cool. 3rd fall is more of a brawl, but pretty sloppy due to the conditions. The rudos post Eddy's shoulder a few times, while Konnan is impressively still selling the knee. He then delivers a pretty big juice job from shots outside the ring. Eddy throwing awesome back elbows at Dos Mil in the corner. Santo's mask ripped up as well. Eddy dives at Caras on the floor, but he moves and Eddy lays out Konnan. Rudos throw Santo off the top and Caras rips his mask off to tremendous heat and a DQ win. Caras is just the best. This may have been long, but I actually enjoyed this more than some other similar AAA trios as this was less spotty, a little slower and more gritty. I'm sure that was a combo of the feuds and the weather, but I definitely dug this. There's always room for ripping masks. What's the point of them otherwise?

***1/2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Kudos to these guys for having even a reasonable match in the rain - that whole setup looked treacherous. I'm always amazed at the reaction Konnan gets during his heyday in Mexico.

Is it just me, or was this show, including the Rey Jr. trios match before it, mic'd better than normal? The great crowd heat came through much clearer than in the other early-'90s lucha I've seen.

• 10 months later...

This was another one of those trios matches that was more like a six-man battle royal. That meant that not everything could be seen to begin with, and the cuts made by the cameras made it all into a giant mess. Some nice stories got started (Konnan's knee injury, the rudos going so aggressively after Santo's mask), but everything felt incomplete, even though the mask ripping led to the final DQ. It's impressive that they worked this match in a driving rainstorm, but few of its problems had much to do with the rain, in my opinion. This would have been just as big a structural mess under dry conditions.

What was the deal with showing Eddie's accidental dive onto Konnan so often? Was the promotion trying to tease a heel turn for one of them?

• GSR changed the title to [1993-02-14-AAA] Eddy Guerrero & El Hijo del Santo & Konnan vs Cien Caras & Mascara Ano 2000 & Universo 2000